ssshhht passengers approve quiet cars

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

DutchRailnut

ssshhht passengers approve quiet cars

Post by DutchRailnut » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:48 am

http://www.lohud.com/article/20111022/N ... |Frontpage

The hum of the train car ventilating system, the rumble of the rails and the rustle of a newspaper were the subdued sounds of a morning commute on a "quiet car" newly designated by Metro-North Railroad.

The quiet on the 7:25 a.m. train from White Plains to Manhattan on Tuesday could be partly ascribed to the stupor of the not-fully-awake as they dozed, read or worked on laptops.
But also, the railroad began this week trying out its new reduced-noise cars on some trains, where commuters avoid using cellphones, keep laptops and other devices on silent mode, and speak softly, if at all.

etc etc..
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Fan Railer

Re: ssshhht passengers approve quiet cars

Post by Fan Railer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:48 am

Great for railfans trying to record sounds from the train as well ;)

DanD3815

Post by DanD3815 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 pm

That's great and now there should be no reason to throw a hissy fit when people try to have a conversation in the train without one obnoxious person making comments about it. Ive never had the pleasure of directly experiencing that but used to see it all the time to other people when i would commute to school on the train, very obnoxious.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 am

Quiet cars are freakin' sweet! I rode one last weekend (nevermind the fact it was 3 ppl in a horizon car) and I loved the silence.

Also, that won't stop impolite people from carrying on loudly. Some day, the loud cars are going to be full and a gem of a human being is going to burst into the quiet car on his/her cell talking about last night's romantic interlude at a volume befitting Foghorn Leghorn. It's going to get ugly...

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Tadman wrote:... It's going to get ugly...
I commuted from various points off the New Haven line for years. I can tell you, it has been and will be ugly. I once witnessed a drunken couple about mid-car heave a balled-up newspaper (or some such commuter detritus) across several rows at some people they thought were too loud. Granted, the targets were slightly loud, but I was shocked. I think the drunken couple might have been partaking in some less than quality alcohol, and may already have been in pre-hangover status.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Terminal Proceed

Post by Terminal Proceed » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:04 pm

The train service notice to conductors DOES say that if overcrowding exists on the train the conductor, at his/her discretion HAS the authority to suspend the operation of the quiet car.

Matthew Mitchell

Post by Matthew Mitchell » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 pm

And discretion in waiving the policy is also a good idea if a train is delayed. In that case, people may need to make calls to let people know when they'll be arriving. Of course we want those calls to be kept brief and in a soft voice; common courtesy should be paramount. Our experience here on SEPTA is that most people are pretty understanding in these situations.

Matt Mitchell
Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passengers
www.dvarp.org

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:58 am

nope thats when those passengers can pick their dumb ass of a seat and move to vestibule to use their phone.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

7express

Post by 7express » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:18 am

DutchRailnut wrote:nope thats when those passengers can pick their dumb ass of a seat and move to vestibule to use their phone.

Could not agree more. Or just Text it/e-mail it, everyone has hand held devices nowadays (even me with my Blackberry), that everyone is capable of sending an e-mail if their train is late. Whenever I'm on the train and I get a call I press the ignore button and carry on whatever I was doing before hand. Why you ask??
1) It's annoying to the people sitting around me
2) I don't like talking on the phone anyway's, I'd rather just text
3) If it's important they'll leave a voice mail.

kaitoku

Post by kaitoku » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am

DutchRailnut wrote:nope thats when those passengers can pick their dumb ass of a seat and move to vestibule to use their phone.
Exactly. In Japan, all cars are quiet cars. People who need to talk on their phones are asked to move to the vestibules. On crowded subway trains and other rolling stock w/o vestibules, if a phone rings, the most common response is: "I'm on the train now, can I call you later?"- common sense and courtesy. Of course, most people don't use their mobiles for voice calls very much anymore- they text.

Roadgeek Adam

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:22 am

7express wrote:

Could not agree more. Or just Text it/e-mail it, everyone has hand held devices nowadays (even me with my Blackberry), that everyone is capable of sending an e-mail if their train is late. Whenever I'm on the train and I get a call I press the ignore button and carry on whatever I was doing before hand. Why you ask??
My solution is taking the cell phone and destroying it. Why bother buying those anyway? :)
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 am

Two great points:

1. Head for the vestibule
2. Use text

I couldn't agree more. It's called "taking responsibility for your actions" and it's a rare commodity here.

Trainer

Post by Trainer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:18 am

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
7express wrote:

My solution is taking the cell phone and destroying it. Why bother buying those anyway? :)
In Europe, it is quite common to see cell phone disruptor systems installed in movie theatres and restaurants where quiet is expected. I don't recall seeing any installed in British, Irish, or Italian trains that I have ridden on, but then again people are generally much more polite and respectful of others' privacy on public transportation. Europeans also have portable cell-eliminator units available about the size of walkie-talkies that create a cell-free static field for several yards around you, which if available I would love to install in my car just to see the expressions of people on their cells drop their calls as we passed in busy traffic.

Sadly, in the US, possession of any such device is considered a felony, so I don't think we'll see any installed on quiet cars soon.

Terminal Proceed

Post by Terminal Proceed » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 am

Thank God this isn't Europe - now can we move on to how this affects New Yorkers and Nutmeggers?

Tommy Meehan

Re: ssshhh passengers approve quiet cars

Post by Tommy Meehan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Have we really become so stressed out that the mere thought of someone speaking into a cell phone on a commuter train makes people violently angry?

What is the difference between speaking to the person seated next to you and speaking into a cell phone?

In Japan people say, 'I'm on a train I can't talk now?' That's a civil society? Sounds more like a powder keg of frustration and bottled up rage to me.

7express turn your phone back on. You think your talking into your cell phone is annoying to people around you? It's not. The only people who get annoyed were ALREADY annoyed. Before they even got on the train. Or sat down to write their message. if they don't get annoyed because of someone speaking on a cell phone they'll just find something else to vent about. :)

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”