FL9 F-10 Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak Discussion

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Noel Weaver

Re: FL9 F-10 Metro-North and Amtrak Discussion

Post by Noel Weaver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

I checked back maybe a couple of weeks ago and it appreared to me that the last run was sometime maybe in February, 2009 or just about 9 years ago. I got that from research on this thread.
Noel Weaver

blockline4180

Post by blockline4180 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Thank you!!. I guess it was just one of those here one minute gone the next without much fanfare.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

NaugyRR

Post by NaugyRR » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:52 am

Ehh, I wouldn't say that, people knew they were on the way out. There was a farewell tour in 2005, see http://www.erie-lackawanna.com/MNRTrips.pdf.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"

ConstanceR46

Post by ConstanceR46 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Pretty sure they were Work Motors by the end, deshoed. A farewell tour that early makes sense as they'll probably never see GCT again.

edit: i'm a idiot. i meant at the time nobody thought amtrak would grab em
Last edited by ConstanceR46 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Railjunkie

Post by Railjunkie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Wanna make a bet

NaugyRR

Post by NaugyRR » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:06 am

I don't think they were deregulated to work motors right away either. I remember them running on the Wassaic branch for quite awhile after, and the other F-Units worked the CT branches before the Brookvilles came fully online. The Amtrak P40's that eventually ended up going to SLE were the interim replacements for the F-Units before the Brookvilles showed up.

As far-fetched as Amtrak's plan seems for the Summer, there's plenty of well-regarded railroaders who have posted in this thread that I'm inclined to believe this is actually going to be a thing. The Amtrak employees who work the Hudson Division have never come off as distrustful or misleading to me in my travels out of Rhinecliff, I have no reason to disbelieve them now. I think this is a situation of trying to see the forest through the trees. It's easy for us to immediately shoot down the idea, because yes, there are several legitimate reasons why this plan couldn't/shouldn't work. However, people experienced at Amtrak, who have skills in doing what they do, and do it for a career, must see something that the rest of us posting on a railfan forum do not. Personally I'm happy that Amtrak's looking into various options instead of just going "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sorry, Poughkeepsie's only ninety minutes from Albany, just take Metro-North from there".
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"

Uncle Cheapo

Post by Uncle Cheapo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Well this whole FL9 thing died fast....

blockline4180

Post by blockline4180 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Uncle Cheapo wrote:Well this whole FL9 thing died fast....
Yep, what ever happened to that so called ferry move to Albany-Ren??
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:53 am

Believe another Nor'easter and more snow may have delayed the move.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 am

or was it April fools that delayed them ...
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

GirlOnTheTrain

Post by GirlOnTheTrain » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am

ConstanceR46 wrote:Pretty sure they were Work Motors by the end, deshoed. A farewell tour that early makes sense as they'll probably never see GCT again.
At the end they needed 2 or 3 of them for a mini-bomb...they were not work engines. De-shoed, yes...but work service? No.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail

Ridgefielder

Post by Ridgefielder » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 am

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:
ConstanceR46 wrote:Pretty sure they were Work Motors by the end, deshoed. A farewell tour that early makes sense as they'll probably never see GCT again.
At the end they needed 2 or 3 of them for a mini-bomb...they were not work engines. De-shoed, yes...but work service? No.
Yes, I believe their last assignment was on the Danbury shuttle. Can't see a cab unit being much use in work service.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:03 pm

no good for work service , no direct release setting on brakes and CAB/speed control is set for passenger speeds .

ConstanceR46

Post by ConstanceR46 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:12 pm

I stand corrected then; however AFAIK they're not entirely estranged from freight; NH used to run a TOFC service from The Bronx to NH with FL9s or an EP-5

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:15 am

correct but these units were rebuild and no longer had freight braking .

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”