FL9 F-10 Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak Discussion

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

NH2060

Re: FL9 F-10 Metro-North and Amtrak Discussion

Post by NH2060 »

According to the photographer who took the drone shot of the new CDOT "CTrail" GP40-2H, two of the 6 FL-9s were moved indoors. Sounds like final prep work is being done for shipping them out to ALB.

JamesRR

Post by JamesRR »

Tadman wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:What is different safety-wise about the Metroliners versus other cab cars? I’ve seen a few opinions about them being relatively unsafe.
Educated guess: It's the floor plan. Your typical cab car has the engineer sitting in the vestibule, the metroliner has this little cabin in front of the vestibule that is much smaller. I have been told by an Amtrak engineer that it is absolutely tiny. Perhaps it feels harder to escape quickly in event of an accident.
That's an interesting observation. The Metroliner cars did essentially have a fiberglass "extension" mounted to one end where the cab exists - how structurally strong were these? From images, it looks like the steel of the carboy extends under the fiberglass section. Either way, it's essentially a subway-type cab car going near 100 MPH - can't feel terrific for the engineer.

Gilbert B Norman

Post by Gilbert B Norman »

Lest we forget, there were Grade X-ings between Wilmington and Seabrook on the Corridor when the Metroliner was inaugurated during Jan 1969. Auth Speed was 110 - and there was the Engineer "up there in his little box".

"What, me worry?"

Oh but wait; that was almost fifty years ago, and "things a little bit different today".

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith »

Jeff Smith wrote:Why would the FL9 not be able to lead or trail as an end unit? I'm not sure why you'd need a P32 at all? It seems the P32 is the problem here; no nose door, no egress.
check check?
Next stop, Willoughby
~el Jefe ("Jeff Smith Rules") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut »

It was explained in previous post, they no longer have third rail capabilities .
Metro North does not allow revenue trains to run in on diesel , except emergencies.
Amtrak has been planning for this for nearly a year, hardly a emergency in any book.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith »

Thanks, that makes sense now. Not sure why I wasn't getting that. CRS disease? LOL.
Next stop, Willoughby
~el Jefe ("Jeff Smith Rules") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Allouette

Post by Allouette »

MAS around the few grade crossings in the Corriidor was 80, even for Metroliners. When the BOS-NHV section was upgraded, the remaining grade crossings were equipped with quad gates.

Patrick Boylan
Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Post by Patrick Boylan »

I haven't read this entire thread, but in another thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=167162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Empire Service this summer
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:Empire trains will be routed to GCT this year for an entirely different reason than last summer. Last year Empire trains were rerouted to GCT to alleviate congestion in NYP due to track outages during track repairs. This year, Empire service will be returning to GCT due to the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge being replaced.
Did Amtrak really run to Grand Central last year? Why can't they use whatever they used last year?

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut »

last year it was only three inbound and three outbound, which could easily be accommodated on center tracks only.
this year it will be all Empire service (but not Lake Shore Limited) which is not only s**t load more trains but also for a much longer time.
no guarantee to use inside tracks for all those moves .

GirlOnTheTrain

Post by GirlOnTheTrain »

Patrick Boylan wrote:Did Amtrak really run to Grand Central last year? Why can't they use whatever they used last year?
Yours truly shot this last year: https://flic.kr/p/XyUFbL
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail

PrestigeTDI1993

Post by PrestigeTDI1993 »

DutchRailnut wrote:last year it was only three inbound and three outbound, which could easily be accommodated on center tracks only.
this year it will be all Empire service (but not Lake Shore Limited) which is not only s**t load more trains but also for a much longer time.
no guarantee to use inside tracks for all those moves .
Speaking of, I was wondering....does anyone know if there will be any more of the P42-5 Amfleet-P32 sets used this time around........ I do remember those got up to speed REALLY fast last time around.....

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut »

read previous post it explains why not.

Railjunkie

Post by Railjunkie »

A little birdie just told me the FL9s have been cleared for movement. But as usual on the RR only believe half of what you see and nothing you hear.

blockline4180

Post by blockline4180 »

Obviously this is not in line with the current talk about possible reactivation of the NH FL9s, but does anyone know the exact date the last run of the Fs on the branch lines took place? I had read 2009, but when exactly in 2009 and anyone have photos ?
Thanks!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

blockline4180

Post by blockline4180 »

Oh and yes, I know I can probably find the answer on this thread, but what page exactly??
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”