Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#896629  by Travelsonic

Cos Cob, Conn (WTNH) - A Metro-North train has derailed in Cos Cob on its way to New Haven Tuesday night.

The MTA says the 8:07pm train from Grand Central to New Haven derailed just north of Greenwich in Cos Cob.

The derailment has caused Metro-North to lose three of the four tracks in that area, which is causing major delays along the New Haven line.

About 500-600 passengers are aboard the train. No injuries have been reported.
[LINK TO ARTICLE]
 #896716  by Ridgefielder

Some more detail from the Greenwich paper:
The train, the first post-rush hour one to leave New York at 8:07 p.m. and scheduled to arrive in New Haven just before 10 p.m., came off the tracks at 8:55 p.m. at a switch, causing all four tracks to go out of service. Five or six other trains were delayed due to the bottleneck and trains along the New Haven line are running with a half-hour to an hour of scattered delays.
http://www.greenwichtime.com/default/ar ... z1CoL6EPPP

Any word on how badly the equipment was damaged?
 #896792  by Travelsonic

Ridgefielder wrote:Some more detail from the Greenwich paper:
The train, the first post-rush hour one to leave New York at 8:07 p.m. and scheduled to arrive in New Haven just before 10 p.m., came off the tracks at 8:55 p.m. at a switch, causing all four tracks to go out of service. Five or six other trains were delayed due to the bottleneck and trains along the New Haven line are running with a half-hour to an hour of scattered delays.
http://www.greenwichtime.com/default/ar ... z1CoL6EPPP

Any word on how badly the equipment was damaged?
My head hurts just thinking about more cars going OOS if necessary.
 #896846  by MNCRR9000

Found this update in the Danbury News Times that was posted around 2:30pm. Sounds like the New Haven Line is down 2 more cars.

Rail officials are trying to find out what caused an express train out of Grand Central Station to derail Tuesday night in Greenwich.

"It is under investigation. It is very unusual and we probably won't know for a couple of days," said Metro-North Railroad spokeswoman Margorie Anders, adding that officials are downloading information from the train's black box, a device that records information about trains' operation.

Two front wheels of the lead car came off the track, causing the first car to derail, Metro-North spokesman Aaron Donovan on Wednesday said.

A 50-year-old man complained of back pains following the derailment, which occurred at a switch between the Greenwich and Cos Cob stations, and was taken to Stamford Hospital.

"Initially we had no reports of any injuries," Anders said.

The eight-car train, the second post-rush hour one to leave New York at 8:07 p.m. with an estimated 500-600 passengers, came off the tracks at 8:55 p.m., 10 minutes after its scheduled arrival at the Greenwich train station, Donovan said Tuesday night.

Read more: http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/artic ... z1CpoYm4zQ
http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/M ... 990932.php
 #896961  by Clean Cab

Thankfully the train did not derail on Cos Cob Bridge!! What else can happen to the fleet next? I shudder to think.
 #896965  by num1hendrickfan

I'm gambling on a frozen switch as the most likely culprit for this particular derailment, makes sense when one takes into the account conditions the day of the incident. Age of equipment probably played a minor role as well.
 #898051  by MNR's #1 Conductor

From what I saw when passing the site, it appeared that one of the wheels came off or one of the axles broke. I brought a deadhead equipment move westward at about 2300, and got a very good view. The train stayed upright, and the wheel was laying in the snow somewhere immediately west of CP 229, with what appeared to be a nub piece of the axle still attached. I am basing my opinion on what I had observed ONLY AND MERELY IS SPECULATION, and not from anything official, and I would not post official word. Time will tell what really caused it.
Last edited by MNR's #1 Conductor on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #898052  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Clean Cab wrote:Thankfully the train did not derail on Cos Cob Bridge!! What else can happen to the fleet next? I shudder to think.
The hits truly do keep on comin'!!! When it rains, to hell with "it pours", it is a damn hurricane!!!! :-D