Connecticut Commuter Rail Council

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Connecticut Commuter Rail Council

Post by Jeff Smith » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 am

Dutch usually links this; apologies, Dutch.

(Posted without comment as I have not yet read - Site Admin)

The most recent annual report is online; I suggest going to the home page and right-clicking to save the report:

http://www.trainweb.org/ct/

Minutes are also up through December, 2010.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Steamboat Willie

Re: Connecticut Commuter Rail Council

Post by Steamboat Willie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:30 am

Same old story from Cameron. He belittled train service as well as management for the company's recent shortcomings.

Hey Jim, when are you going to come to realization that your line, one of the busiest if not the busiest in rail traffic is served by ancient rolling stock. An impressive chunk of the fleet is currently out of service and the Northeast has been walloped by winter this year. CDOT is bleeding money and past leadership has postponed the need to update its fleet. You complain about the delays in the M-8 acceptance, but you'd be the first to complain if things were rushed with the multi-million dollar investment of our monies and have serious short comings.

My hat off to my co-workers for dealing with everything lately, from people who work on trains (C&E), to people whom work on them, the men who work night and day to repair the wire and track, to the RTC's who have to somehow make sense of all of these delays and the track outages.

ajp

Post by ajp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 pm

reading thru the council minutes it's amazing where the one member thinks it is illegal for the proposed train Wifi vendor, Cablevision would not charge existing Cablevision customers and charge non subscribers. Cablevision subs all ready pay for the wifi available in Cablevision areas so the extension of wifi on trains is IMHO a continuation of that policy. It is like wifi at airports. If you belong to the vendors network you dont pay extra, if not you pony up.

Darien Red Sox

Post by Darien Red Sox » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

ajp wrote:reading thru the council minutes it's amazing where the one member thinks it is illegal for the proposed train Wifi vendor, Cablevision would not charge existing Cablevision customers and charge non subscribers. Cablevision subs all ready pay for the wifi available in Cablevision areas so the extension of wifi on trains is IMHO a continuation of that policy. It is like wifi at airports. If you belong to the vendors network you dont pay extra, if not you pony up.
I hope Cablevision dose not get the contract. They seem to treat everyone who dose not scribe to all of there services like dirt. I have lost count on how many times I have needed to hang up on there sales people after trying to tell them no thank you a number of times. I have had other bad customer service relations with them too including a time they needed to send a technician to my house to activate a cable box, the technician tells me that they should have just done it over the phone.
Some people complain about the traffic on I95, If you have a problem with traffic and the rails go where you are going, TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

andre
Location: someplace between tottenville, downtown, midtown, south norwalk or danbury

Post by andre » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 pm

as somebody who worked in direct competition to CV recently (verizon, i now work in finance/insurance) iv witnessed stuff with verizon and cablevision done on both sides that had questionable ethics to say the least.

however charging customers who do not have a subscription is common with all wifi vendors its done with AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and the cable carriers where they have hotspots. its usually a nominal fee (few dollars) that gives you a time allowance. its fine for places like coffeeshops, diners, etc...

also alot of people have aircards which use the cell network built into their laptop or a usb/pc card to plug into their machine or tether their blackberry/pda/smartphone (iv done this for years, only use wifi at home) (pretty much what im saying is that if cv is chosen as the provider of wifi onboard there is another choice)

but i do compliment metronorth for being proactive for looking to the future to offer wifi services on their trains, it would surly help to boost ridership. its a big hit on other commuter roads and acela.
This is the train to: Pumphouse, Turntable and RPO, Please have all tickets out for collection. Thank you and enjoy the ride

**Also agrees with the statement "Jeff Smith Rules"

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:10 am

Why worry about the wifi service on the M8s now? Lets just get them running ASAP!!!
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

railmason357

Post by railmason357 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:36 pm

The Council points fingers and harps on the same old %^&* everytime, they should be more proactive like the NY version who actually have contact with the managers and work to improving things instead of just negative publicity! Some people just like to hear themselves talk without any resolve!
Don't forget the workers! They are the ones that get it done and you don't need a book to learn from them. Common Sense.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 am

I'm sure the council is much more annoyed than their statement reveals. It has been a literal hell on the New Haven Line this winter and the prospects for it getting better soon are quite dim. It may take months to repair all the cars that have been sidelined. Sadly the M2's (even the CSR M2's) have proved less reliable than many people thought. I hate seeing them go out like this.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

Patrick A.

Post by Patrick A. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm

We need to pray that the M8's can get the bugs worked out of them soon so that the 4,000 mile test can begin soon!
I have lived to ride on the M8.

Complete Constant Tension on the New Haven Line ETC: Mid-2018

Wayside Observer

Post by Wayside Observer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:43 pm

The council has believed everything MN has ever claimed about the "increased reliability" of the CSR M2s. Many of which are now shopped along with the other M2s.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Not only Commuter Council, we had plenty of Railbuff experts here , proclaiming that rebuilding nearly 40 year old cars would be better and save the State of Connecticut money.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

kitn1mcc

Post by kitn1mcc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:22 pm

the old stuff got to go. but not untill the new is 100% correct. i may go to this meeting
Ui Company Meter Services

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

http://www.railroad.net/events/event.php?EventID=1362

http://fairfield.patch.com/articles/met ... 16-meeting
With Metro-North’s New Haven line service nearing a “meltdown,” The CT Rail Commuter Council is convening a special meeting of all stakeholders to discuss the crisis on Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. in the Stamford Government Center.

“We are inviting commuters, Metro-North, the CT DOT, elected officials and Kawasaki [manufacturer of new rail cars] to join us,” says Jim Cameron of Darien, chairman of the legislature-appointed watchdog group.

“We especially want commuters who have suffered through recent weeks of delays, cancellations and unheated cars to attend, share their experiences and get their questions answered,” added Council Vice Chair Terri Cronin from Norwalk. “The folks from Metro-North need to hear from their customers. But commuters also need to hear Metro-North explain their challenges in running a first-class railroad with third-world equipment.”

Because the real solution to this crisis is the months-late introduction of the new M8 railcars, the Council is also inviting manufacturer Kawasaki and consulting firm LTK to join the meeting to explain the continuing delays in the M8 testing. And elected officials are invited to attend to listen to their constituents and hear from the railroad what it needs to fix the system.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

UpperHarlemLine4ever

Post by UpperHarlemLine4ever » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:34 pm

I know fingerpointing isn't the thing to do but please remember that Gov. Roland nixed the original order for the replacement cars a number of years ago. It wasn't until Gov. Rell came to office that the purchase was approved. This delay caused by Roland puts Connecticut in the spot they are in today. If they had been approved originally, these cars would be up and running and there would be no problem today. For the Commuter Council to call a meeting to probably point fingers (a blamefest) is not very productive. The Metro-North people are working with 39 + years old cars with all types of electronic gadgetry. These cars are almost non-repairable. The maintainers, train crews and even the people at GCT who have to redirect people off of dead trains are being pushed to the limit. And when all is said and done instead of putting blame where blame needs to be placed, they will probably blame Metro-North for all the problems. If this should happen, maybe Metro-North should reexamine it's plan in 1983 when Connecticut couldn't reach an accord with Metro-North. It proposed not allowing NH line trains from Connecticut into New York, making them terminate at the New York border, requiring passengers to detrain and then board a New York train. The contract was reached very quickly after that.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 pm

one yerar ago MNCR was owed a big sum of money due to legistators in Harford sitting on their thumbs and twittling them, nearly causing a shut down of service east of Greenwich.
As for M-8 it was only ordered in 2006, most EMU commuter cars take more than 5 years to go from financial order to In service.
Years ago the MNCR ordered tho cut back on spare parts because parts in shelfs is lost money, sometimes decisions by money crunchers are a waste of ideas.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”