Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#446760  by Erie-Lackawanna

Geeps can pull them when they're deadheading. Gennies pull them when they're in passenger service. Geeps don't have HEP; Gennies do. The cars require HEP for passenger amenities.

Amtrak normally picks up the cars at New Rochelle, but due to the current Shell At-Grade Project, the official interchange point has been moved (temporarily, I think) to New Haven. Amtrak takes the cars to Hudson (Kearny), and drops them for NJT to bring to Hoboken.

Jim

#446776  by ATK

Otto Vondrak wrote:MN 3 is an old NYC stainless coach or lounge.
Actually, I believe that car is an ex-ATSF coach -- at least that's what I was told anyway. The car is basically a bowling alley, there's nothing in it end to end.

#446780  by sixty-six

What pulls them on the NJT lines? NJT equipment I'm assuming?

#446787  by Erie-Lackawanna

MN locomotives pulled from the West-of-Hudson pool.

Jim

#446800  by kitn1mcc

they went by the fire academy at like 1:20 today in new haven
 #446902  by SwingMan

Those cars once rode on LI rails for a good period of time. Where does MN keep those cars? lirr415-Peter

#446904  by DutchRailnut

they are normally kept in yard in gct next to track 11

#447001  by Jeff Smith

It would be nice if MNRR had some type of parlor car service - I bet they could charge a pretty penny for some C-level executives who don't want to fit their fannies into the middle seat. Of course, that's why they ride in limo's. :wink:

#447039  by Tadman

Otto, that had better be a dual-mode tooth fairy. Fairy dust tends to collect in the tunnels and cause coughing and watery eyes.

#447264  by Clean Cab

The inspection cars were brought to New Haven Yard to test the curves on the new loop track. They ran them around several times and the train actually stayed on the rail!!!

The cars were brought back to GCT earlier this evening.

#447272  by Murjax

I think I may have seen that train around 10 months ago. It kept going back and forth on a track in Bridgeport. Now I have a better understanding on what it may have been doing there. :wink:

#447349  by Otto Vondrak

Report from P&W engineer that Extra 2014 West ran late last night from New Haven hauling the three MN inspection cars... possible interchange with Amtrak last night at New Rochelle?
 #447757  by MTASUPT

The Inspection train is operating today on the West Of Hudson.

MN1-MN3-MN2
 #457349  by Otto Vondrak

Around 10:00 am, I observed the MN inspection train with MN 1, MN 2, MN 3 pulled by Genesis 206 or 209 (couldn't quite see) crossover at South Norwalk, CT. I assume they are travelling up the Danbury Branch. The train appeared to be carrying people. What goes up, must come down?

-otto-