Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#861056  by Train2009

I really want to see that train but I did't know there was a run today!!!! :(
When is the Inspection cars are going back to Harmon?
 #861058  by Train2009

The Inspection Cars was on the New Haven line today as it was a geometry train to Danbury...it left early evening east to New Haven, CT....today's power was P32AC-DM #204 on the west end, three inspection cars and BL20 #130 on the east end.
 #861119  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:it was Infection train a.k.a the flu train.
it takes medical dept to outlying terminals to give flu shots.
This is a good one. An inspection train just to take doctors, nurses or whatever around to administer flu shots. No wonder the MTA is broke and is resorting to taking off trains and raising fares. OH to have the newspapers get a hold of this one.
Noel Weaver
 #861121  by JoshKarpoff

I actually think that it's a good idea. You don't need multiple doctors, you make it easy for staff to comply, the doctors don't need to break down their setup to move to another facility, etc. How much does it cost to move a train they already own, with staff they already have versus the amount of overtime it would cost to have staff come in and fill the vacancies when a lot of staff are out with the flu? How much money does it help taxpayers to not have MTA employees as flu carriers, getting hundreds of thousands of passengers sick? That's lost work for those passengers' employers, lost productivity, lost pay and thus lost tax revenues.

I'd much rather have the MTA spending a little bit of money on basic public health procedures and the health of their workers than some of the other silliness they spend money on.
 #861138  by Terminal Proceed

Mr. Karpoff - i will rebut your claims.

1) No employee is forced to comply with the flu shots. The shot is offered to all and is VOLUNTARY. Only in a fascist state would someone be forced to comply.

2) There are only a very small handful of people from the railroad's medical department on board to administer the injection. They don't use doctors for it either.

3) As far as cost for a train to move, there are 3 additional salaries to be paid. The Engineer, Conductor and Brakeman. There is a good chance when calling for this assignment that one or more of these people will be on overtime. Additionally, there is the cost of diesel fuel. I'm sure it burns several hundred gallons of fuel to go on flu shot run. There is wear and tear on the equipment as well. All of which are completely unnecessary.

4) The flu vaccine being administered does not guarantee against getting the flu. The vaccine only protects against certain strains. So, Mr. Karpoff, the employees may still end up getting the flu regardless of the vaccination. The picture you paint is that of MN employees riding the trains with the public as 'typhoid Mary's' infecting thousands of people. I think the situation is more likely that the passengers would be potentially spreading the flu virus.

5) It would be far more cost effective for the railroad to put the health services folks into a van and have 1 driver assigned to take them to where they need to go. Just because you own a train doesn't mean you need to take a crew of 3, plus a motor and three coaches to haul 5 or 6 people to give flu shots.

6) In these very rough economic times, and with the MTA and the government calling for belt tightening, it makes NO SENSE whatsoever to spend that kind of money to run a train just to give a flu shot. It's downright wasteful and stupid.

7) There are times when an inspection train is warranted. However, wasting money by running it unnecessarily spits in the face of the people whose fares were just raised.

8) Noel Weaver is 100% right about this.
 #861144  by DutchRailnut

Entire conversation is redundant since we determined it was not flu train but the Geometry train.
Its refreshing to see, MNCR is using its inspection cars for more than just inspection trips.
Ive been suggesting for years to make new inspection train into a multi-function train.
Geometry - inspection - training - private charter etc, and yes push pull.
 #861197  by Jeff Smith

Or send them to the local pharmacy/CVS/StopNShop to get their shots for free per medical plan. I agree it's stupid to have a train do this.

By the way, there is a place where inoculations are mandatory; the Armed Forces. I've gotten the Anthrax vaccine, GG (Gamma Globulin), and a bunch of other stuff I can't even pronounce, plus taking Clor-Quinon for service in the Middle East and Africa.

YOU CAN"T SAY NO! Those that do are discharged.
 #861202  by DutchRailnut

Unfortunatly a lot of railroaders don't have time during their shift to go for outside innoculations, and for railroaders to get any medical attention they need to take a day off.
the off days will cost the company way more than providing the services via our own medical dept.
railroads do not let people off for few hours to get to doctor like outside companies do.
 #861225  by andre

The train pulled into the layover yard at danbury for the purposes of inspecting the geometry of the trackwork on the branchline including some of the sidings and the crossover that runs behind the museum yard.
 #861386  by truck6018

DutchRailnut wrote:Unfortunatly a lot of railroaders don't have time during their shift to go for outside innoculations, and for railroaders to get any medical attention they need to take a day off.
the off days will cost the company way more than providing the services via our own medical dept.
railroads do not let people off for few hours to get to doctor like outside companies do.
I'd like to add if the company did allowed employees to go to the medical dept (in Manhattan) during their shifts, they would pay out more money in wages per employee and there would be anywhere from an hour to half a day in work per employee that is lost. Comparing what it costs to run the train with already contracted medical staff, it's likely cheaper doing it they way it's done.

Overtime for the crew? Possibly, but I'm sure they would use extras when availible.
 #862382  by gregorygrice

The inspection train came up to Danbury on 10/16/10 at about 3:00 PM with Bl-20 130 leading north and Ge Genesis 204 training south. Here's a pic I took while volunteering at the museum as I do every saturday.
Attachments:
1016001534a.jpg
1016001534a.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
 #862550  by andre

gregorygrice wrote:The inspection train came up to Danbury on 10/16/10 at about 3:00 PM with Bl-20 130 leading north and Ge Genesis 204 training south. Here's a pic I took while volunteering at the museum as I do every saturday.
great shot greg, the ones i have are of the pheobe snow cars as it passed the crossing. good thing i told you to get off our train while we were sitting in the far side of the yard
 #862745  by DutchRailnut

Here another few links with train getting off branch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54920970@N ... otostream/

The Geometry laser setup
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54920970@N ... otostream/