Metro-North Delay Free Day

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Metro-North Delay Free Day

Post by Jeff Smith » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:45 am

To balance Otto's thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 73&start=0

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/12 ... -free-day/

And it was almost two in a row!
Across town at Grand Central Terminal, however, their northbound counterparts have enjoyed Metro-North Railroad’s two-day winning streak. Tuesday was the second weekday in 2010 on which all of the railroad’s 720 trains ran on time. On Monday — when a broken rail caused delays for the Long Island Rail Road — only one Metro-North train was late.

“We didn’t have any sick customers. We didn’t have any police issues. We didn’t have any switch issues. We didn’t have any pantograph problems,” said Marjorie Anders, an MTA spokeswoman. “It really is just all the departments working together and it just came out perfect.”
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

shlustig

Re: Metro-North Delay Free Day

Post by shlustig » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 pm

What would the on-time performance figure be without the 6" grace period that each MN is allowed????

Steamboat Willie

Post by Steamboat Willie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:37 pm

It's 5:59 to be exact, shulstig. Also, they pad the schedules a bit (extra running time) usually between the second to last and final stop. An example of this would be #6500, which gets 30 minutes of run time between Milford and NHV, and we know it doesn't take that long. But that train does get covered by diesel equipment often, being a late night train has the knucklehead drunks and RTC's crossing you over a few times to dodge construction. So that is a reason for them to "pad" the schedule a bit. Most of the time provided there are no problems trains usually arrive at their final destination a few minutes early. When trains inbound for GCT, once the train breaks the circuit at the northern part of the platform, the 37N signal for example on track 37 it is considered on-time even though it may take an additional 30-45 seconds to hit the block.

Wayside Observer

Post by Wayside Observer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:55 pm

More luck than anything else!!!

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:34 pm

As long as I can remember and that goes back a long time, commuter trains less than six minutes late were considered to be on time. I can't speak for the New York Central in their days but on the New Haven the daily delay reports went out to a lot of locations and always the locals were only listed for six or more minutes.
Metro-North toots their own horn but still with the age of some of the facilities as well as the cars on the New Haven side, it is probably an accomplishment to have two 100 per cent days in a year.
I can't recall the New Haven Railroad in its days ever being able to achieve 100 per cent on either express nor local trains. In those days we didn't have as many trains but things were literally falling apart at the seams and still, it didn't take much to knock things all to hell.
In the NHRR days we had three separate reports, one for through trains which were for the most part trains that ran past New Haven to Springfield or Boston or someplace else, one for locals in the 200 and 300 series which included trains west of New Haven and a third one for Berkshire trains which only seemed to include trains beyond Danbury to Pittsfield. Don't ask me just why it was necessary for a separate report for just the Berkshire trains?
There was a lot of interesting stuff in these old delay reports, I have just a few but wish I had saved more of them over my early years.
Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:43 pm

shlustig wrote:What would the on-time performance figure be without the 6" grace period that each MN is allowed????
Not only MN but every railroad represented by APTA, or American Passenger Transit Association.
They are once setting the 5:59 standard, not MN.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

MNR's #1 Conductor

Post by MNR's #1 Conductor » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:31 pm

All engineers and conductors and crews should be treated to steak dinners at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse NYC!!!! :-D And a button, too!! x-D
Railroading is not a career, it's a lifestyle! Railroading........what other life would I wanna live? :-)

checkthedoorlight

Post by checkthedoorlight » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:10 pm

There's a saying over at Amtrak that if a long distance train arrives at the destination the same DAY as scheduled, then it ran on time. Unless the last 2 weeks throw off the numbers, they're looking at a 80% on time rate for 2010 (70% for Long Distance, with the Cardinal being the worst with an amazing 39.4% on time). Compare that to MNRR's 93.4%, MBTA's 98.1% or MARC's 88.6% for 2010.

MTASUPT

Post by MTASUPT » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

MNRR was not 93.4 for 2010 it was more in the area of 97.7
"Intelligent management of Railroads must be based upon exact knowledge of facts. Guess work will not do..." VPO NYC 1963

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”