Slip/Slide This Season?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

IrideNHline

Re: Slip/Slide This Season?

Post by IrideNHline » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:08 am

Was on a NH line train home last week during some of the rain and encountered an emergency stop due to wheel slippage. It was kinda fun.

FL9AC

Post by FL9AC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Not for the crews ;)....

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:11 pm

IrideNHline wrote:Was on a NH line train home last week during some of the rain and encountered an emergency stop due to wheel slippage. It was kinda fun.
It's not fun when you're already in emergency and sliding towards a stop signal.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

andre
Location: someplace between tottenville, downtown, midtown, south norwalk or danbury

Post by andre » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Patrick A. wrote:How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.
My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

Cut some trees back from the ROW and you won't have this problem create such an impact on operations. Oh wait, MN can't/won't spare crews to go out and cut trees. Never mind.

-otto-
oh come on otto we both know that if mn did the logical all the nimbys would complain about the noise of chain saws and the treehuggers would be out in droves protesting :wink: :wink:

but on a serious note: the slipping hasnt been so bad on the danbury branch from what I noticed, the crews have been doing a great job coping with it, iv noticed that the engineer may start slowing the train earlier before a station stop then normally would be done in the summer/spring time
This is the train to: Pumphouse, Turntable and RPO, Please have all tickets out for collection. Thank you and enjoy the ride

**Also agrees with the statement "Jeff Smith Rules"

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote: My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

Cut some trees back from the ROW and you won't have this problem create such an impact on operations. Oh wait, MN can't/won't spare crews to go out and cut trees. Never mind.

-otto-
First off MNR doesn't cut down trees they hire contractors to do it. Don't know about the NY portion of the New Haven Line, but you'll regularly see Asplundh track cars on the ROW on the H&H.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 pm

correct and once a tree is off railroad property we can't touch it, having 150 foot maples next to right of way and 50 feet from nearest rail will still dump loads of leaf on rails.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:09 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:correct and once a tree is off railroad property we can't touch it, having 150 foot maples next to right of way and 50 feet from nearest rail will still dump loads of leaf on rails.
But doesn't the width of the railroad ROW vary? Can't end right at the edge of the ballast... Can it?
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:23 pm

no most right of way is either 50 or 35 foot from nearest rail

Patrick A.

Post by Patrick A. » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:13 am

How often does Waterworld clean up the New Haven main?
I have lived to ride on the M8.

Complete Constant Tension on the New Haven Line ETC: Mid-2018

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:46 am

every night on weekdays sometimes extra on weekends.

Ridgefielder

Post by Ridgefielder » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Patrick A. wrote:How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.
My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

-otto-
Good luck trying that on the Danbury-- you'd have to deforest the entire hillside above Branchville before you'd make a dent on the leaves! :-D

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 pm

This past week the slip/slide was pretty bad due to the high winds, leafs on the rails and light rain. It was a bit worse during the PM rush than the AM rush on days like Wednesday and Thursday (11/17, 11/18).

MN does its best to combat this annual problem. They issue special operating instructions and do try to keep the rails clean with rail scrubbers and their "Water World" train. But that only helps so much. Most engineers just accept the fact that there will be some very slippery locations and try their best to keep their trains under control.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

twropr

Post by twropr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:43 am

I rode the EL M&E several times between 1964 and 1973. I don't ever remember their MU's having a problem with leaves - they would charge us the 2% grade from Short Hills to Summit (or the eastbounds make their descent) completely unhindered. Occasionally when I would get off an MU at Broad St. Newark I would smell burning leaves and see some smoke coming from the brake shoes. Back in those days the NH had the washboard and olive drap MU's, which no doubt, had cast iron brake shoes like the old Lackawanna MU's.

Andy

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:25 am

Hasn't anyone heard of what happened when Helena had most of the brush removed along the LIRR? Most of it has already grown back, but I don't think you can say the same for the budget..

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:41 pm

twropr wrote:I rode the EL M&E several times between 1964 and 1973. I don't ever remember their MU's having a problem with leaves - they would charge us the 2% grade from Short Hills to Summit (or the eastbounds make their descent) completely unhindered. Occasionally when I would get off an MU at Broad St. Newark I would smell burning leaves and see some smoke coming from the brake shoes. Back in those days the NH had the washboard and olive drap MU's, which no doubt, had cast iron brake shoes like the old Lackawanna MU's.

Andy

Keep in mind that the MUs used by MNRR are considered lightweight cars as compared to MU cars from the 1930's, 40's, 60's & 70's. Less weight on the wheels, less traction.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”