Slip/Slide This Season?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Patrick A.

Slip/Slide This Season?

Post by Patrick A. » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 am

How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.
I have lived to ride on the M8.

Complete Constant Tension on the New Haven Line ETC: Mid-2018

brettj22

Re: Slip/Slide This Season?

Post by brettj22 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 am

For the whole week about a week or two ago I remember my upper Harlem direct train having some very rough stops, particularly at Goldens Bridge and Croton Falls. It sort of felt like an equivalent of ABS for a car with the brakes rapidly engaging and releasing accompanied by a loud air hiss. Is that a typical symptom of slip/slide or likely something else?

mkm4

Post by mkm4 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:46 am

Yes, that is an indication of the problem.

Last week, one of my morning trains, went past six stations. We kept having to backup.

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm

It's been a typical fall season so far. Haven't had anything really bad so far on my trains, but heard a few other guys sliding all the was past stations here and there. A few years ago was really bad until they updated the software on the M7's.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

brettj22

Post by brettj22 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Is slip/slide more troublesome for MU's or diesel hauled equipment?

FL9AC

Post by FL9AC » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 pm

The diesel equipment usually fairs a lot better because they are equipped with sand, but nothing is guaranteed depending on weather patterns and how many leaves are grounded already...so far it's been fairly mild in comparison to past seasons.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:38 pm

I guess there haven't been as many flat spot OOS issues as in the first year(s)? Or do they have more capacity for quicker fixes now?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

FL9AC

Post by FL9AC » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 pm

With the new software in the M7's it has been far less of an issue since then and less cars are O.O.S because of that.

Wayside Observer

Post by Wayside Observer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm noticing more cars on the NH Line have very loud wheels. I guess there is only so much MN can do about slip/slide as it has been a problem to railroads the world wide since the first trains ran on rails.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 pm

actualy the problem only started since introduction of composition brtake shoes.
the cast iron shoes never had the slip slide problem
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:13 am

We ran the old MUTS and the 4400's on the New Haven with no slip/slide problems for years. As Dutch stated, it is the brake shoes. When they started using composition brake shoes they jacked up the brake cylinder pressure but of course I have been away for a while now so I am not sure exactly what the situation is today.
I could tell some more stories about this but not tonight.
Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:31 am

cast iron shoes make the wheel tread rough, the composition shoe polishes the wheel.
A composition shoe also has a higher friction rate, therefor grabbing the wheel.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

7express

Post by 7express » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Patrick A. wrote:How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.

Funny you should mention the slip/slide. On 1530 this afternoon, only the first car was supposed to be off at Green's Farms, but because of the slip/slide they couldn't stop so they took the second car off as well.

brettj22

Post by brettj22 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Last night's storm seems to have made rough going on the Harlem today. 953 completely missed Pawling and had to back up this afternoon.

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:02 am

Patrick A. wrote:How has the slip/slide conditions been on the territory this year? On the New Haven Line it looks like the leaves haven't impacted travel much as none of my trains have had any trouble.
My train has consistently overshot stations between Harrison and Stamford over the last week or so.

Cut some trees back from the ROW and you won't have this problem create such an impact on operations. Oh wait, MN can't/won't spare crews to go out and cut trees. Never mind.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”