CP Harriman

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

TDowling

CP Harriman

Post by TDowling » Thu May 27, 2010 7:13 pm

So with the new track alignment west of Harriman station, is the railroad getting rid of that second track at the station?

SecaucusJunction

Re: CP Harriman

Post by SecaucusJunction » Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 pm

I think they're moving the CP west a little ways, which makes a lot of sense as any train on the siding can still line up at the platform this way. Also, it helps the DIB problem out to Central Valley. With the siding, you probably only lose 100 feet or so.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.

TDowling

Post by TDowling » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Forgive me, but what does CP stand for?

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Thu May 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Controlled Point, a interlocking or signal or bridge controlled by the Dispatcher
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

SecaucusJunction

Post by SecaucusJunction » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:59 pm

I was up there this week and I don't really understand what they are doing. They turned the old CP-Harriman into a hand throw switch. and the siding continues past the station as far as you can see from the platform. Does that track continue to the new siding west of there?
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.

TDowling

Post by TDowling » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:37 am

SecaucusJunction wrote:I was up there this week and I don't really understand what they are doing. They turned the old CP-Harriman into a hand throw switch. and the siding continues past the station as far as you can see from the platform. Does that track continue to the new siding west of there?
No, that siding is a dead-ender. That's why I figured they were going to rip it up....

Sirsonic

Post by Sirsonic » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:22 am

The westward home signal to CP Harriman was moved west several hundred feet to a point where it is now west of the station. The interlocking still is the east end of the controlled siding between CP Harriman and CP Valley (formerly CP Central Valley). The switch to the Harriman Industrial (aka the Old Main Line) remains a power switch and part of the interlocking. The controlled siding was shortened by several hundred feet. The former power switch at the former location of CP Harriman, at the east end of Harriman station, is now a hand operated switch equipped with an electric lock and derail. The name of this short stub track is Turners Siding.

Because the signal at CP Harriman, which is also the distant signal to CP Valley is now west of where westbound trains stop at Harriman station, westward trains are no longer required to comply with NORAC Rule 504(b), aka the DIB rule.
Proven Theory #2 - If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks, or how well you think you understand railroading.

Rest in peace Jtgshu.

TDowling

Post by TDowling » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

So Turner's Siding isn't going anywhere......

MTASUPT

Post by MTASUPT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Correct, it is staying.
"Intelligent management of Railroads must be based upon exact knowledge of facts. Guess work will not do..." VPO NYC 1963

SecaucusJunction

Post by SecaucusJunction » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Do you know what it could be used for? There are no freight customers near there anymore...

TDowling

Post by TDowling » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:19 am

It will probably just rust.

railmason357

Post by railmason357 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:58 pm

I heard when they have outages to turn trains there, so they can still load across the main. Also when they have track equipment.
Don't forget the workers! They are the ones that get it done and you don't need a book to learn from them. Common Sense.

sullivan1985

Post by sullivan1985 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 am

SecaucusJunction wrote:Do you know what it could be used for? There are no freight customers near there anymore...
Turning trains or MoW equipment storage.
Harriman Reconfig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MTASUPT

Post by MTASUPT » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Just FYI - No longer a wye. The west leg does not connect anymore
"Intelligent management of Railroads must be based upon exact knowledge of facts. Guess work will not do..." VPO NYC 1963

TDowling

Post by TDowling » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 pm

MTASUPT wrote:Just FYI - No longer a wye. The west leg does not connect anymore
Are you sure about that? I was riding the train the other day and it looked like the west leg did connect....

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”