Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#882296  by 7express

Could one take this "football" train from Bridgeport to Penn station (get off the train there) with a Bridgeport to GCT ticket?? The MTA site says the football ticket costs the regular price of a one way ticket PLUS an extra $10.50 into New Jersey, so I would assume I could take it from Bridgeport to Penn Station with a Bridgeport to GCT ticket. Anyone done this before??
 #882312  by Terrapin Station

7express wrote:Could one take this "football" train from Bridgeport to Penn station (get off the train there) with a Bridgeport to GCT ticket??
According to what was reported when this service began, the answer is yes, no problem.
 #882409  by Clean Cab

Only a few chances left to catch this train as it most likely will not run next year. This was a two year project and sadly I don't think the low ridership numbers and all the budget cutting will allow it to be saved. I enjoyed the few times I got to operate these trains. It was something quite interesting to operate different equipment on new territory.
 #882453  by Amtrak7

Clean Cab wrote:Only a few chances left to catch this train as it most likely will not run next year. This was a two year project and sadly I don't think the low ridership numbers and all the budget cutting will allow it to be saved. I enjoyed the few times I got to operate these trains. It was something quite interesting to operate different equipment on new territory.
How low was the ridership?
 #882455  by DutchRailnut

very very low, read some of post in last few pages.
great while it lasted but I expected a end much sooner.
 #882574  by Otto Vondrak

Clean Cab wrote:Only a few chances left to catch this train as it most likely will not run next year. This was a two year project and sadly I don't think the low ridership numbers and all the budget cutting will allow it to be saved. I enjoyed the few times I got to operate these trains. It was something quite interesting to operate different equipment on new territory.
Lack of marketing support didn't help, either.
 #882876  by HBLR

I've come across several passengers who have used this service. They told me they found out from the ticket office people. It seems and feels to me like this was more of an experiment than any serious long term service. I could see a benefit of doing this for army or navy vs philly or ny teams, but as you said Otto, it needs more publicity, namely on sports radio, and plugs on sports talk shows on tv, because that's the people who would be using the service.
 #882962  by MNCRR9000

I definietly agree that they need better publicity. Talking with friends and family most of them didn't even know that the service existed. Also listening to 660 WFAN I haven't heard any commercials regarding the Meadowlands Service. If they publicize the heck out of the service than I ideally the ridership should go up.
 #882972  by Train2009

MNCRR9000 wrote:I definietly agree that they need better publicity. Talking with friends and family most of them didn't even know that the service existed. Also listening to 660 WFAN I haven't heard any commercials regarding the Meadowlands Service. If they publicize the heck out of the service than I ideally the ridership should go up.
I know News 12 Westchester had a report on the first run last year.
 #882977  by Jeff Smith

As a proponent of joint service, I think this was a good demo run showing that at least equipment wise it can be done. Whether or not it fits in the schedule some day remains to be seen.

As for the service itself, well, I think it fell victim to a few things. Yes, lack of advertising/promotion was big. I also think the service being limited to 1pm Sunday games (a necessary limitation, I know) was another; the average rider could not get in a rhythym. There's also the tail-gate mentality to a football fan; almost similar to NASCAR in that a trip to the game is like a trip to the track; a day-long outing.

Mostly, though, I think the market served by the train was limited. I have no idea where the fans of the Giants and Jets live these days (the Jets I think are still mostly LI), but I imagine that there just weren't enough fans to draw from along the New Haven line.

I can't access a football schedule here, but when's the last run set for?

Lastly, it's not as if the Meadowlands train service has gone away; NH line customers just have to find a way to get to Penn now.
 #883221  by Clean Cab

My personal opinion is that football fans aren't really train riders. Most football fans like to drive their cars to the games and participate in tail gating parties.