Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#218104  by Nester

If you look in the previous threads, according to our moderator, it is used.

I've ridden trains 851 and 855 (the trains that terminate at Beacon) and neither one normally arrives on track 3. I was on 851 tonight and it arrived at Beacon on track 2.

The last time I recall seeing a train on 3, it was an excursion train last summer.

Nester

#218495  by Terminal Proceed

The platform is not used routinely. There are instances occasionally where it is used. I have seen it used when Amtrak was running late and they put a MN train in there to get it in the clear so Amtrak can keep moving. Doesn't happen often though.

Kevin
 #223359  by MTASUPT

The Platform comes in handy for track work when we have tracks out between 53 and 61, cuts down on the delays. We used it back on 2/24 when we had an Amtrak (290) in trouble. As for the condition , we will look at that. Thank you

#223481  by District D RTC

Most likely the reason it looks so run down is becasue it is a wooden platform. It is not heavily used so the wood will look "aged". The platform gets used on an as needed basis. It is NOT a part of the "normal" daily operations though. One of the main reasons it is not used more, is that it is on the controlled siding, and it is on an isolated platform so passengers who come off the train(s) that end at beacon would need to go "down and under" to connect to continue their trips north.

--JSW

#228305  by Clean Cab

It was bulit to be used when the track #1 & 2 platforms were being rebulit. MN thought it might come in handy, so they never tore it down.
 #405612  by District D RTC

I poked around today on the MTA's website and in addition to the new June 11th MN timetables I found the following:

A link to the story, including the photos is: http://www.mnr.org/mta/news/newsroom/beacon.htm

Beacon Celebrates Train Station Improvements
Beacon Station Entrance photo
Beacon Station walkway photo

Beacon Celebrates Train Station Improvements

The City of Beacon has a new gateway at its MTA Metro-North Railroad station, which has been redesigned, expanded with new parking, canopied, and landscaped to create a welcoming place for arrivals and departures to this growing city on the Hudson River.

Metro-North officials, along with dozens of stakeholders from city, county, and state governments and agencies that participated in a two-year planning process, recently commemorated completion of the $9 million Beacon Station Parking Expansion and Access Improvements project.

The project at Beacon Station added 365 new landscaped parking spaces on the east side of the station, and an additional 600 spaces were rehabilitated. With this expansion, the waiting list for parking permits at the station, which at its worst point numbered 700 people, has been eliminated.

"Metro-North is pleased with the collaborative process that led to the construction of this beautiful new station plaza and expanded parking lot with improved access," said railroad President Peter A. Cannito. "The railroad intends to be an active partner in the Beacon community's renaissance for years to come."

The station serves more than 2,000 railroad customers a day, a majority of whom come from Orange and Ulster counties on the west side of the Hudson River by crossing the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. With ridership growing, the City of Beacon and Metro-North have worked together to find innovative ways to address the growing demand for parking at the station, and over the past decade more than 1,265 parking spaces have been added at a combined cost of $20 million.

A new peak-hour ferry service from Newburgh to Beacon that began a year ago—and now carries about 150 people a day—helped reduce demand for parking. In addition, shuttle buses to area Park & Rides also carry 100 people a day, making Beacon more popular with residents of Orange and Ulster counties.

"These parking and access improvements to the Beacon train station is great news for local commuters," said State Senator Stephen Saland, who secured $1 million in funding for this project. "Improved pedestrian and motorist access at Beacon will make commuting more convenient and enable visitors to take advantage of surrounding communities and cultural attractions of our region. I am pleased to have secured funding for these improvements which will have a positive impact on our local economy."

A highlight of the beautification project is a new landscaped plaza with a gracefully arched translucent glazed canopy that takes advantage of natural lighting. There's a drop-off area where cars can pull out of the flow of traffic. A separate pull off for buses also improves traffic flow. The entire plaza is dotted with benches, information kiosks and numerous bike racks for cyclists.

The project has crystallized a new sense of place enhanced by designated crosswalks, sidewalks and new directional signs to area attractions that make it easier and safer for pedestrians to navigate. In one case, a dirt path shortcut up a hill to West Main Street has been replaced with a lighted staircase. The staircase even has temperature sensors which turn on heaters to melt ice. This is the first such installation on Metro-North property and if it is effective and reliable the technology may be employed elsewhere on the railroad.

"The Beacon Railroad Station is the southern gateway to Dutchess County" said Dutchess County Executive William Steinhaus. "Plans to increase its significance and augment its potential as a hub are exciting. Dutchess County looks forward to a fruitful partnership with Metro-North as it makes improvements on the site to better serve our residents and welcome the many visitors to our area."

"The rebirth of Beacon's waterfront has taken a huge step forward with the completion of these train station improvements," said Beacon City Administrator Joseph Braun. "The station is a welcoming gateway to the city for travelers that also brightens the daily lives of residents who commute."

Environmentally and recreationally friendly initiatives at Beacon include three dedicated extra-long parking spaces on the riverside of the station for boat trailers' use on weekends. On the east side of the Station (North Lot) Metro-North has designated reserved areas for future expansion of the Riverfront Trail. An hourly car sharing rental program that uses a hybrid gas/electric vehicle also is available at the station.

Traffic improvements include a new, wide entrance lane to and from Beekman Street that allows for two-way traffic and reduces traffic on local roads. A new dedicated right turn lane with signal timing changes at the intersection of 9D and Beekman Avenue improves the evening rush hour exodus. The Station roadway within the lot was redesigned for better circulation.

The project, which began in December 2004, also included new lights, signs, paving, landscaping and drainage improvements and was completed on time.

Extensive planning efforts involved the cooperation of numerous participants including the City of Beacon, Dutchess County, New York State, and the Beacon community including Scenic Hudson, Dia:Beacon, The Beacon Institute for Rivers and Estuaries, Long Dock Beacon and the Beacon Arts Community Association art center, to name a few. The planning process for this parking lot established the foundation for a longer-term Beacon Station Master Plan for Smart Growth.
 #1342197  by Nester

Why is the platform ripped up? It didn't see a lot of action over the past few years but it was a nice to have for those trains that ended at Beacon.
 #1342246  by truck6018

The trains that terminate at Beacon used to land on track 3. Prior to ripping up the decking, the platform was in less than decent shape. I don't know if there are plans to repair or not. The only downside to using that platform is for the people transferring from the Beacon train to the Poughkeepsie train have to rush through the tunnel to get to the island platform. On the upside utilizing track 3 would make it easier for the crew and RTC to turn the train and not tie up the main.
 #1342257  by Nester

truck6018 wrote:The only downside to using that platform is for the people transferring from the Beacon train to the Poughkeepsie train have to rush through the tunnel to get to the island platform.
The amount of people transferring is negligible.

The platform wasn't in the best shape, but I was looking to see if there was or is a plan to replace it.
 #1342365  by truck6018

Nester wrote:The amount of people transferring is negligible.
Negligible or not, it happens every day. There's about a half dozen that get on at Harmon and 2 or 3 at Peekskill to go to Poughkeepsie.
 #1342379  by DutchRailnut

The platform on track 3 (controlled siding) was put up as temporary platform during track work about 20 years ago, it was left just in case but on paper does not exist.
since it technicaly does not exist its hard to get funding to maintain it so it is a goner.
 #1342388  by Nester

truck6018 wrote:
Nester wrote:The amount of people transferring is negligible.
Negligible or not, it happens every day. There's about a half dozen that get on at Harmon and 2 or 3 at Peekskill to go to Poughkeepsie.
Are you suggesting that a half-dozen people get on at Harmon or Peekskill to ride to Beacon to wait for a train to take them to Poughkeepsie?
 #1342407  by truck6018

Nope, not suggesting it, I'm telling you they do (I've seen it multiple times, most recently today). Train 851 scheduled at Croton Harmon @ 5:57, Beacon @ 6:39. Train 853 out of GCT (Beacon first stop) is scheduled at Beacon @ 6:41, arrives @ Poughkeepise 7:05. If they waited at Croton Harmon for a through train they would wait for train 855. Harmon @ 6:17, Poughkeepsie @ 7:18

Being the previous through train from Croton Harmon to Poughkeepsie is @ 5:33, 851 will take passengers from 749 and 751.

There was one or two occasions years ago that I got on the Beacon train @ Harmon to go to Poughkeepise and it arrived on track 3 and I had to hustle with a few others through the underpass to track 1. There is no time to fool around since the connection is basically following the Beacon train. These days the passengers only have to walk across the platform and the connection is arriving before 851 turns to head back south.

Dutch is right, per the timetable, the side platform on track 3 does not exist (even though it's in the PC guide). But then again the PC guide still recognizes the low level platform on track 5 at Poughkeepsie (which is another topic).
 #1342455  by Nester

truck6018 wrote:Nope, not suggesting it, I'm telling you they do (I've seen it multiple times, most recently today). Train 851 scheduled at Croton Harmon @ 5:57, Beacon @ 6:39. Train 853 out of GCT (Beacon first stop) is scheduled at Beacon @ 6:41, arrives @ Poughkeepise 7:05. If they waited at Croton Harmon for a through train they would wait for train 855.
You've kinda made my point. :) My question was about the number of people - not the actual behavior. It's a small downside. I don't ride 851 much but I will keep my eyes peeled for these folks next time I do.

As-is I don't think the Upper Hudson gets enough service so I hate to see it lose any flexibility in providing it. But since the platform doesn't really exist it's hard to get funding for maintaining it.