Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1030322  by Tommy Meehan

Okay but my point is if you read what Vanderhoef has been saying he's actually been pretty careful to NOT make it sound like he's complaining about taxes. He wants more value.

As far as the payroll tax on businesses, to say that it is causing some of them to layoff workers or go out of business I think that's a little extreme. I think businesses get quite a lot of value from the services the MTA provides.

Look the problem is the economy is soft and tax revenues are way down. They need money to maintain the current level of service. Rockland is part of the MTA District. They have to chip in for everything not just the part they use.

Or they can possibly leave the district and pay for everything themselves. Which I think might cost them more than they pay now.

Remember the storm damage from Hurricane Irene? How everyone was saying the MTA was reacting too slowly? Imagine if Orange and Rockland Counties had had to repair the damage by themselves? We'd probably be still waiting.
 #1030464  by NH2060

Or they can possibly leave the district and pay for everything themselves.
In which case Rockland would be "District 13" and pulling out of the MTA would be their "rebellion" that may result in some sort of... "fight to the death" for transit funding :-P
In all seriousness though considering that the MTA (Metro-North for that matter) is very much committed to providing service west of the Hudson I don't really see the merit in the county doing something like this, especially since their Orange County neighbors make good use of the Port Jervis Line (currently marked for additional passing tracks and signal upgrades IIRC) which does run through at least part of Rockland.
 #1030598  by runningwithscalpels

In which case Rockland would be "District 13" and pulling out of the MTA would be their "rebellion" that may result in some sort of... "fight to the death" for transit funding
+1
 #1030619  by Tommy Meehan

NH2060 wrote:In all seriousness though considering that the MTA (Metro-North for that matter) is very much committed to providing service west of the Hudson I don't really see the merit in the county doing something like this....
I agree I don't see the merit either. But I might if I understood exactly what Vanderhoef or the County is asking for. I understand they're saying they pay in more than they receive back. At least the way they compute it (and MTA doesn't agree).

But exactly what are they asking for? What is it they want MTA to do specifically that MTA is not doing? I've looked at news articles, the Rockland County web site, I don't really see anything.

That's why I think this is pretty much a behind-the-scenes political wrangle. Or just an attempt to show the voters, "Hey I'm on your side, look at me, I'm going after MTA." :)