"Fairfield Metro Center" at Black Rock

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

rohr turbo

Re: "Fairfield Metro Center" at Black Rock

Post by rohr turbo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 am

Riverside and Riverdale seem like they'd get mixed up, though being on different lines helps.

Roadgeek Adam

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:46 pm

rohr turbo wrote:Riverside and Riverdale seem like they'd get mixed up, though being on different lines helps.
Tell that to Middletown & Middletown-Town of Walkill. Or as one person described it, Dover NJ vs. Dover Plains NY.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.

Ridgefielder

Post by Ridgefielder » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 am

Years ago I was on a train to Stamford, first stop Harrison, and the lady across the aisle from me was trying to go to Garrison. That's got to be the easiest station pair to confuse with major consequences (i.e. not a short cab ride or wait for another train, like White Plains and North White Plains).

Back on topic-- any updates about the station itself?

metroduff

Post by metroduff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 am

WRT to names:

The Fairfield Parking Authority has now begun to refer to the two stations with Fairfield in their names as "Fairfield Center" and "Fairfield Metro."

I wonder, he said with tongue in cheek, whether the name of this forum should be altered?

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:05 am

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/th ... gents.html

The long-awaited Fairfield Metro train station is set to open in October with plenty of amenities: a 1,500-space parking lot, an enclosed overpass, covered waiting areas, and access to the Fairfield Metro Center. The center will include five office buildings, a retail center and hotel, and will co-occupy the 33-acre site off lower Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield, near the border of Bridgeport’s Black Rock neighborhood.

but no ticket agents see article in link.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 am

Ticket machines don't break down? I'd be willing to bet that some TVM's have taken a few of their own kind of coffee breaks.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

gmbfly98

Post by gmbfly98 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:05 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/th ... gents.html

The long-awaited Fairfield Metro train station is set to open in October with plenty of amenities: a 1,500-space parking lot, an enclosed overpass, covered waiting areas, and access to the Fairfield Metro Center. The center will include five office buildings, a retail center and hotel, and will co-occupy the 33-acre site off lower Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield, near the border of Bridgeport’s Black Rock neighborhood.

but no ticket agents see article in link.
This will probably sound like a facetious comment, but will anything be done about the ridiculous amount of graffiti that has been deposited on the station before it opens? I find it disgusting that people graffitied it up practically as soon as the cement dried.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Like a LIRR conductor once said "even pig sty's are clean till you put pigs in them"
same with stations, it will reflect on the natives on how the tribe station shows.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 pm

What zone will it be in? 18 or 19?

RAY

Post by RAY » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Which sounds more dynamic? "I'm catching the train to Black Rock", or "I'm catching the train to Fairfield Metro Center"? It's so obvious this station should be named "Black Rock", it almost makes my teeth hurt.

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 am

Exact date is Oct 16.

A hearing will be held on fares, most likely the same as Fairfield.

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Why is a hearing needed to determine the fares for this station? It already been stated that the fares would be the same as the existing Fairfield station. What is the public going to argue over? That the fare from Fairfield Metro should be less than Westport, Green's Farms, Southport and Fairfield even though its the furthest from GCT and Stamford in that zone. Or maybe they would prefer to be included in Bridgeport's fare zone? I don't get it, seems like this hearing is a waste of money.

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/index.html
MTA Metro-North Railroad will hold a public hearing on a proposal to establish fares for travel to and from the new Fairfield Metro station in the Town of Fairfield, Connecticut, in conjunction with the opening of the new station on or about October 16, 2011.

The proposed fares for the new Fairfield Metro station will be the same as the fares charged at the existing Fairfield Station in effect on the date of the opening of the station.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 pm

RearOfSignal wrote:Why is a hearing needed to determine the fares for this station? It already been stated that the fares would be the same as the existing Fairfield station. What is the public going to argue over? That the fare from Fairfield Metro should be less than Westport, Green's Farms, Southport and Fairfield even though its the furthest from GCT and Stamford in that zone. Or maybe they would prefer to be included in Bridgeport's fare zone? I don't get it, seems like this hearing is a waste of money.

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/index.html
MTA Metro-North Railroad will hold a public hearing on a proposal to establish fares for travel to and from the new Fairfield Metro station in the Town of Fairfield, Connecticut, in conjunction with the opening of the new station on or about October 16, 2011.

The proposed fares for the new Fairfield Metro station will be the same as the fares charged at the existing Fairfield Station in effect on the date of the opening of the station.
It is a waste. But NYS law requires hearings before any tariff changes, and adding a new station is a tariff change.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Much the same info as the above news release, but a little historical context in there as well:

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=110722-MNR36
Fairfield Metro Station, the newest train station on the New Haven Line, is set to open this fall.

The State Street Station in New Haven opened June 7, 2002, just east of New Haven on the Shore Line East branch. Merritt 7 opened in June 1985 in Norwalk on the Danbury Branch. But there hasn't been a new station on the main New Haven Line in about a century.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Matthew Mitchell

Post by Matthew Mitchell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm

rohr turbo wrote:Riverside and Riverdale seem like they'd get mixed up, though being on different lines helps.
We've got some like that in SEPTA territory:

Highland (Chestnut Hill West) and Highland Ave. (Wilmington)
Eddington (Trenton) and Eddystone (Wilmington)
Trenton and West Trenton
Pennlyn (Lansdale) and Pennbrook (Lansdale)
Wynnefield (Cynwyd) and Wynnewood (Paoli)
Newark (NJ--Amtrak) and Newark (DE--SEPTA)

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”