Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#619536  by MNCRR9000

I was wondering, currently how many yards does MNRR have. I know they have Highbridge, Croton-Harmon, White Plains, Brewster, Stamford, and New Haven. Do they have any others?
 #619588  by FL9AC

Well, you missed Wassaic, Poughkeepsie, Danbury, and Bridgeport :wink:.
 #619607  by MNCRR9000

How many of the yards are for just storage and which ones do they do maintenance at?
 #619627  by DutchRailnut

Maintenance is done at any yard trains are stored at. major maintenance is done at shops in Harmon, Stamford, New Haven, North White Plains and Brewster.
Highbridge is a appearance maintenance shop, not Mechanical other than small repairs.
 #619635  by MNCRR9000

What sort of maintenance work do they do at the maintenance shop in Stamford?
 #619637  by DutchRailnut

Stamford does running repairs on M2/4/6 including trucks, traction motor changes, pantographs etc etc etc Plus Stamford has heavy repairshop where MNCR does body work like collision damage etc.
 #619641  by MNCRR9000

I didn't know that Stamford did that much work. Must save having to send everything to Croton-Harmon. Is Croton-Harmon mostly for the Diesel locomotive and bombardier coach repair? Bridgeport was mentioned as a maintenance and storage facility is a lot of work done at that facility?
 #619648  by DutchRailnut

Bridgeport des not have a shop so only field repairs.
Croton Harmon does not normally work on M2/4/6
Croton harmon does all MNCR diesel maintenance, coach maintenance and M3/m7 maintenance.
each shop normally handles the equipment that is run on that line.
 #619712  by MNRR_RTC

Otto Vondrak wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Mt. Vernon Yard
This is the yard on the Harlem Line where MOW cars are stored?
Yes. Also, CSX has a customer there.
 #621904  by Darien Red Sox

What about other yards where they don't store trains overnight like New Canaan and Norwalk. Dose Waterbury have any yards?
 #621908  by DutchRailnut

New Canaan is not really a yard, a siding thats all and a siding off the siding.
Waterbury has yard but its not MNCR, it belongs to Panam railroad (guilford transportation)
Norwalk (dock yard) is basicly a MofW siding.
 #622069  by MNCRR9000

I was looking on MSN Live Maps and it looks like there is a fairly new repair shop in Bridgeport I guess where the old east end freight yards used to be. From the picture on the side of the building you can see Connecticut Department of Transportation on the side. What sort of repairs do they do in Bridgeport? Also when was that facility built?