Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#602559  by L'mont

When and Where were these units rebuild? I saw a picture of one in Elmira Heights. I know that there is a CAF USA facility there and an Adtranz proceeded it.
 #602583  by DutchRailnut

The original rebuilt was to be done at Republic locomotive works in North Carolina.
but after banckrupcy of Republic the first two were moved to Elmira at ABB.
All 10 units were ultimately rebuilt at ABB in Elmira (later Adtrans)
 #627727  by Otto Vondrak

MN-P32AC-DM-201-227 wrote:Are they all scraped now? I remember seeing a photo of one being cut up.
Yes, the scrap metal scraped across the ground when they were all scrapped. ;-)

I think the first units went out for rebuild in 1993? They were all cut up around 2005.

http://flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3179962518

http://flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3170940678

http://flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3179126301

-otto-
 #627950  by brnxvill

Yes, great photo's but at the same time, it makes you cringe that these were not preserved somehow....
 #628030  by Otto Vondrak

brnxvill wrote:it makes you cringe that these were not preserved somehow....
As what, paperweights? Doesn't make me cringe, the FL9AC's were garbage. And we have plenty of FL9's preserved in museums around Connecticut, as well as an active fleet up on the Maine Eastern... Besides, they had modified the FL9 so much to make the AC version that they just weren't the same...

-otto-
 #628036  by RearOfSignal

Otto Vondrak wrote:FL9AC's were garbage.

-otto-
I don't think we should talking like thought about one of our members. FL9AC. :wink:
 #628064  by Otto Vondrak

RearOfSignal wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:FL9AC's were garbage.

-otto-
I don't think we should talking like thought about one of our members. FL9AC. :wink:
lol- okay, the member known as "FL9AC," he's okay. Everything else is crap.
 #628073  by Clean Cab

The sad part of this whole project was that LIRR FL9-AC #301 was former NHRR FL-9 #2000 (MNRR #2025). It to was scrapped with the others. Both original NHRR FL-9s are now gone.
 #628140  by Clean Cab

The idea was to see if AC traction motors could work instead of DC motors which require more maintainance and produce less horsepower. It was a sound concept, but to put all this unproven high technology onto 30 year old frames just didn't make much sense. I've heard that the first FL9-AC cost over $10 million dollars and the other 9 weren't that much cheaper.
 #628288  by DutchRailnut

When the FL9ac concept was born the AC propulsion was fairly new, only one CP rail Alco. a Amtrak F40ac were tried, the FL9ac was introduced at about same time as F69PHAC's for amtrak, The GE units were not even on the drawing board, and even AC for freight was more of dream than reallity.
basicly the FL(ac was a demo project, were EMD/siemens lost and GE learned vallueble lessons.