Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#424737  by L'mont

I'm not sure of the track number, but....

On the eastern most ramp to the upper level, an adjacent track (to the west) continues straight, not heading up to the upper level. It appears as though this track has new ties and a new road bed. I think I've seen workers there. Where does this track go and what's it for?
 #424769  by Terrapin Station

L'mont wrote:I'm not sure of the track number, but....

On the eastern most ramp to the upper level, an adjacent track (to the west) continues straight, not heading up to the upper level. It appears as though this track has new ties and a new road bed. I think I've seen workers there. Where does this track go and what's it for?
I'm looking at the track map but can't figure out what track you are talking about.

You can look at the track map too and find it - search the forum here for "Track map".
 #424773  by MNRR_RTC

L'mont wrote:I'm not sure of the track number, but....

There is alot of track going on in the Lower Level for the the LIRR going to the GCT. They are adding storage tracks to make up for the tracks that are going to be ripped up to make way for the LIRR terminal.

#428611  by bingdude

I think the track L'mont means is the stub that continues north under the two that surface up to meet the upper level.

They just go north a few car lengths and dead end. Nice place to store things like MofW equipment.
 #616765  by MNCRR9000

There is alot of track going on in the Lower Level for the the LIRR going to the GCT. They are adding storage tracks to make up for the tracks that are going to be ripped up to make way for the LIRR terminal.
How many tracks are going to ripped out to make room for the new LIRR terminal and are the tracks going to be replaced somewhere else? When is the ESA planned on being completed?
 #616767  by RearOfSignal

The Madison yard has been taken out, all the way on the west side of the terminal on the lower level. Highbridge yard for the most part replaces what was lost.
 #616805  by MNCRR9000

So the Madison Avenue Yard was taken out, someone mentioned in a previous post that new storage tracks have been added to make up for the ones that were taken out in, where are those new storage tracks located in GCT?
 #616815  by RearOfSignal

No new tracks in GCT, added storage is in Highbridge yard in the Bronx. Trains are deadheaded to and from Highbridge as needed.
 #617008  by MNRR_RTC

RearOfSignal wrote:No new tracks in GCT, added storage is in Highbridge yard in the Bronx. Trains are deadheaded to and from Highbridge as needed.
They did add new storage tracks in the lower level and also North of the lower level platforms.
 #617061  by RearOfSignal

MNRR_RTC wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:No new tracks in GCT, added storage is in Highbridge yard in the Bronx. Trains are deadheaded to and from Highbridge as needed.
They did add new storage tracks in the lower level and also North of the lower level platforms.
Yes, you're right, I think 155, 184, 182, 180?
 #617159  by MNRR_RTC

Also, 136 track is a storage track, though you can run from 102 through 136 up track A to track B as an alternate route. It is very useful to have during the rush.
 #617179  by RearOfSignal

I've only done it once, but most guys don't like putting equipment on those LL tracks because of walking around in the dark watching out for trains. At least the east yard has makeshift narrow walkways.