Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#659760  by Erie-Lackawanna

First, let's make one thing clear: only regular Hudson Line service to the new station will be shown in the regular timetables. Hudson, Harlem & New Haven Line special trains will be shown in the new Yankees Home Game Service timetable, which will be the complete picture of all game service, just as the Long Island Rail Road's Mets service is shown in a special timetable.

As far as rainouts, game delays, extra innings: we'll handle it. Nobody will be left stranded if they want to stay to the end of an extra innings game. They won't be waiting at the station for a train if the game is called after the second inning. The LIRR has been doing this for a long time, and we're using their experience as our guide.

Jim
 #659798  by shadyjay

On Wednesday, I did a GCT-Croton/Harmon roundtrip. On the SB trip as we left Morris Heights, the electronic display in the M-7s displayed "Yankee-E 153 St" as the next stop, and the audible announcement said "Talmadge Hill" which is on the New Canaan Branch. As we entered the station, the regular arrival station announcement played with the same description as the pre-arrival.
 #659807  by Tommy Meehan

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:As far as rainouts, game delays, extra innings: we'll handle it. Nobody will be left stranded...The LIRR has been doing this for a long time, and we're using their experience as our guide. Jim
Excellent answer, thanks.
 #660499  by Otto Vondrak

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:As far as rainouts, game delays, extra innings: we'll handle it. Nobody will be left stranded if they want to stay to the end of an extra innings game. They won't be waiting at the station for a train if the game is called after the second inning.
Yeah, what do youse guys think dis is, BOSTON??!!

-otto-
 #660569  by Tommy Meehan

They used to run occasional weekday night specials from Washington to Camden Yards for Orioles games. I don't think they run them anymore.

There was a big stink a few years ago when the return train left before the game was over. I think it was because of a crew/HOS issue.

That's the thing with Metro-North. Not many other commuter roads have the resources Metro-North does. The amount of equipment, the crews available or that can be made available. We're actually very lucky.
 #660690  by RearOfSignal

Tommy Meehan wrote:the crews available or that can be made available.
Crews can't be made available. They're either available or not. Even if they're available they have to want to work if it's a their rest day. There are quite a few regular jobs that are vacant now. So I'm interested to see how they're going to cover the Yankee Stadium service not only for the trains themselves but also for the gating. Equipment and crews are not an endless resource. MNR may have more than some other railroads but there is a limit.
 #662481  by Tommy Meehan

No one has mentioned it but the most recent Mileposts has some information on the new service.

Hudson Line riders will use regularly scheduled trains. Harlem and New Haven riders can use special direct service that will operate "on weeknights, weekends and holidays." Harlem and NH riders will also be able to buy special "Via" tickets that allow transfers to Stadium specials (or Hudson Line trains I guess) at 125th/GCT without paying two full fares.

The latter relates to something I've been wondering about. Fares. Will Yankees-153rd St be in the Bronx fare zone, a special fare zone or the 125th/GCT fare zone? We'll know soon enough, tickets go on sale starting May 1st.
 #662518  by truck6018

Tommy Meehan wrote: The latter relates to something I've been wondering about. Fares. Will Yankees-153rd St be in the Bronx fare zone, a special fare zone or the 125th/GCT fare zone? We'll know soon enough, tickets go on sale starting May 1st.
It will be a Bronx fare zone.
RearOfSignal wrote:So I'm interested to see how they're going to cover the Yankee Stadium service not only for the trains themselves but also for the gating.
As far station crews (ticket agents/custodians) there were rumors circulating (that I can not confirm or deny) that MNR were looking to outsource these positions. If not, with the anticipated ticket window closures at other stations and the posting of custodial jobs (meaning crews being shuffled around), it will likely work out.
 #662523  by RearOfSignal

truck6018 wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote: The latter relates to something I've been wondering about. Fares. Will Yankees-153rd St be in the Bronx fare zone, a special fare zone or the 125th/GCT fare zone? We'll know soon enough, tickets go on sale starting May 1st.
It will be a Bronx fare zone.
It will not be a regular Bronx fare zone! Only for Hudson line trains will the Bronx fare apply(fare zone 2). A intermediate Harlem line monthly (zone 2 to anywhere else besides GCT/125th) will not cover the fare to Yankees - E. 153 St during certain times; namely on non-direct trains which require a transfer in Manhattan.
MTA Metro North Railroad's Website wrote: At other times, Harlem and New Haven Line customers will be able to transfer to Hudson Line trains, or special game-day shuttles, at Grand Central or Harlem-125th Street Station, using our new "Via" fares, which are slightly higher than fares to Grand Central.

And getting to and from the game is a one-ticket ride from our Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven lines.

Monthly and weekly ticket holders who normally travel to or from Manhattan (on any of the three lines) can travel to or from Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station at no extra charge.
 #662548  by The Interloafer

It's in the Bronx fare zone for Hudson Line trains. For travel on Harlem & New Haven trains there is a step-up charge called a "via" fare to account for a transfer at 125th or using the Mott Haven wye.

I went by the station today to take a gander at the new pedestrian overpass which has been open since 4/3. This station is monumental. It is enormous, sturdy, and looks like it will last for many decades. Here's a photo of the wide concrete walkway.

Here's a photo of the station mezzanine.

I was surprised to find that Track 1 was . . . gone!

In its place was a MOW vehicle that looked like it was grading the right-of-way. I would bet this work was being done to minimize the gap.

Finally, the stairway on the west side of the station has a nice landing that provides unobstructed views of the right of way and the station. I like to call this "the railfan's platform."

#662554  by Tommy Meehan

The Interloafer wrote:It's in the Bronx fare zone for Hudson Line trains.
I had already read the Milepost and the Web site information, do they say what fare zone the stadium will be in? (I just looked again.)

You're saying it will be the same fare as from, say Yonkers as to Marble Hill? That would be great. Beyond great (given the prices at the new ballpark).

Great pix by the way.
 #662608  by truck6018

Tommy Meehan wrote: I had already read the Milepost and the Web site information, do they say what fare zone the stadium will be in? (I just looked again.)
From http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mileposts.pdf
Whatever line you use to get to our new station, the fares can’t be beat! For our Hudson Line customers, fares will be the same as all Bronx stations on this line, from Morris Heights to Riverdale.

Our Harlem and New Haven Line customers will find the convenience of oneway and round-trip “Via” fares. They will allow you to transfer to a stadium station-
bound train at Grand Central Terminalor Harlem-125th Street Station for a slightly higher fare.

And all of you Harlem, Hudson, and New Haven Line monthly and weekly ticket holders who normally travel to or from Manhattan can travel to or from Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station at no extra charge.