Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#17609  by Otto Vondrak

Was browsing in an old issue of TRAINS from 1981, there is a photo in Sept. 1981 issue that shows a silver 4400-series MU at Stamford wearing NH logos. The caption says the MU's were pressed into service on the New Cannan branch, and that logos were applied by New Haven shop forces, and were made of Lexan rivited to the cars... does anyone know the details? Were these cars in the dead line? Why were they brought back? Was it easier t make NH logos from Lexan instead of paint? Why did they need these cars back in service?

-otto-

#18018  by TomNelligan

That was a fairly short-lived but really neat assignment. As to "why", in the early 1980s, Metro North was very short of serviceable equipment and the pair of NH 4400s used for off-peak shuttles on the New Canaan branch freed up a pair of M2s for use elsewhere. It was an isolated, low-mileage operation, so the veteran cars were adequate.

As to why the logos were panels rather than just painted on, perhaps some of the railroad employees here know that part.

#18741  by MickD

I remember them there in the spring of '81.I was waiting for a train
to Pelham&I was surprised when one pulled in.I meant to get back &
get a few photos but sadly never did.I'll always be fond of those.We lived in Eastchester until I was 10&my grandparents lived on 2nd Ave.in North
Pelham so those were among the first I ever rode.