Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1500755  by Jeff Smith

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/new ... t-hartford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Feb. 14--West Hartford's elected leaders came to the state Capitol Wednesday to make a pitch for a Hartford Line train station in the Elmwood section of town.

"The station will be sited across from and connected to the Flatbush Avenue CTfastrak station, creating a true, multi-model transit hub," said West Hartford Mayor Shari G. Cantor. "The funding and construction of the West Hartford Rail station is critical to our efforts to attract private investment and promote Transit Oriented Development in the New Park Avenue corridor. This mile long district is anchored by two CTfastrak stations, major retailers and a wide variety of businesses."
 #1500916  by Jenny on a M2

PhoBo? Seriously? Everyone knows Pho 501 in E. Hartford is where it's at.

I can't believe I'm still friends with you after that comment lololol

Back on topic....why do I feel like we'll have a WeHa station in operation before we'll ever see a Newington one. :(
 #1501131  by JcPinCT

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:I guess I could take the Hartford Line to Flatbush and take the busway to Elmwood for some Pho Boston when this gets built ;)
Close :-) Take the Hartford Line to Flatbush and transfer to CTfastrak route 153 for Pho 135 on South Main St. in WeHa, which is a nice 5-minute walk from/to WeHa Center and Blue Back Square.
Jenny on a M2 wrote: Back on topic....why do I feel like we'll have a WeHa station in operation before we'll ever see a Newington one. :(
Because you're correct. WeHa has their act together and is settled on Flatbush for the station location. Newington is currently split on wanting their station at Cedar St. vs. Newington Jct.
 #1502063  by daybeers

JcPinCT wrote:
Jenny on a M2 wrote: Back on topic....why do I feel like we'll have a WeHa station in operation before we'll ever see a Newington one. :(
Because you're correct. WeHa has their act together and is settled on Flatbush for the station location. Newington is currently split on wanting their station at Cedar St. vs. Newington Jct.
Which should be an easy decision. There's no more room for parking at Newington Junction, whereas Cedar Street has tons of room, plus Central Connecticut State University is right there.
 #1502956  by daybeers

On second thought, where would the Cedar Street station go? The current CTfastrak station is about a quarter mile from the tracks. They ain't movin those tracks because that's where the trains go 100/110, plus there are bridges around there. So, what's the solution?
 #1503046  by JcPinCT

daybeers wrote:On second thought, where would the Cedar Street station go? The current CTfastrak station is about a quarter mile from the tracks. They ain't movin those tracks because that's where the trains go 100/110, plus there are bridges around there. So, what's the solution?
In the article that I read http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article ... 89933/1002, CTDOT is proposing 565 Cedar St. for the train station. There is plenty of room at that location for a train station, parking and transit-oriented development. Here is a map of the area that I marked up https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apb11hlKzLenqneZTReEVexGINFD.

Cedar St. has better access to Rt. 9, plenty of residential development just east of the proposed station and realistic walking distance from CCSU and CTfastrak. CTDOT is including funding in their proposal for the Cedar St. Newington Station upgrades to Route 9 and arteries to and from the station site. The roadway and walkway improvements should make the 1/4 mile trek from CCSU and the CTfastrak Station realistic. CCSU also has a campus shuttle bus that could easily add a stop at the Cedar St. Hartford Line station.

Cedar St. is also spaced better on the Hartford Line between the existing Berlin station and proposed West Hartford Flatbush Ave station.
 #1503105  by daybeers

Great map, thanks for that! I understand the proposed location now. Yes, CCSU does have a "shuttle" run by CTtransit route 140/140F, but I have never seen that bus even a quarter full. Besides, even the best headways on it are 15-20 minutes long, so in its current state I wouldn't even call it a shuttle bus because it's fairly unusable. I think its schedule and route need to be overhauled. The proposed location is still about a 0.8 mile walk from the approximate middle of campus, and let's be real: American's often don't walk that far, especially considering how pedestrian hostile the roads there are. I'm very glad to hear DOT is including funding for improving the area around. I would hope the DOT would explore building a path from the Hartford Line station to the current CTfastrak station for last mile connections, but I'm not sure exactly how marshy that forest is.

I also hope something is done with the empty lots adjacent to the CTfastrak station off Fenn Road. They are complete eyesores, with fencing and long grass overgrowing. Maybe the DOT will buy up some of that for more parking for CTfastrak. As it stands now, the small 45-spot parking lot is completely full (in addition to 5-6 people parking along the entrance road) from early in the morning to at least 3 or 4 in the afternoon. What's the status of the former National Welding site?

Is there anywhere I can get involved in the planning of this and/or check the status?
 #1503121  by JcPinCT

You're absolutely correct about most CCSU students/staff not walking the < 1 mile to the proposed station. Hopefully the road and walkway improvements would increase the number of pedestrians. Regardless, I anticipate increased shuttle bus service if the station gets built there.

That whole Fenn Road/Cedar Street area between the CTfastrak and proposed Hartford Line stations is under much discussion in Newington lately. Local residents have been vocal regarding the type of development that they want there. Should be interesting to see if CTDOT wins out and builds the station at Cedar St. or the NIMBYs force it back to Newington Jct - a mistake IMO. In the latter case, maybe CTDOT holds a grudge and doesn't build a Newington station?

As far as getting involved, perhaps you should contact the Town of Newington? Keep an eye on the Newington Planning and Zoning schedule/minutes?
 #1523840  by JcPinCT

Jeff Smith wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:58 pm Feb. 14--West Hartford's elected leaders came to the state Capitol Wednesday to make a pitch for a Hartford Line train station in the Elmwood section of town.

"The station will be sited across from and connected to the Flatbush Avenue CTfastrak station, creating a true, multi-model transit hub," said West Hartford Mayor Shari G. Cantor. "The funding and construction of the West Hartford Rail station is critical to our efforts to attract private investment and promote Transit Oriented Development in the New Park Avenue corridor. This mile long district is anchored by two CTfastrak stations, major retailers and a wide variety of businesses."
Always wondered how CTDOT was going to shoe horn in the West Hartford Hartford Line station and its platforms adjacent to the Flatbush CTfastrak station. Absent a station design yet to be released, I searched for any project map and came across this 2015 article from a local West Hartford news site. That's one tight fit!

https://we-ha.com/rail-station-to-be-bu ... -hartford/
 #1527735  by CTRailfan

JcPinCT wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 pmThat whole Fenn Road/Cedar Street area between the CTfastrak and proposed Hartford Line stations is under much discussion in Newington lately. Local residents have been vocal regarding the type of development that they want there. Should be interesting to see if CTDOT wins out and builds the station at Cedar St. or the NIMBYs force it back to Newington Jct - a mistake IMO. In the latter case, maybe CTDOT holds a grudge and doesn't build a Newington station?
I got the idea that Newington Junction had NIMBY issues, but Fenn Road/Cedar Street doesn't? Whose backyard is Fenn Road/Cedar Street even near? There's a traffic choked road, a gas station, some shopping plazas, some semi-abandoned industrial properties, some aerial spaghetti courtesy of Eversource, and a bunch of weeds and trees. It's about the perfect place to re-develop IMO.
 #1527739  by JcPinCT

There’s some Newington Station discussion in this West Hartford Station topic that should probably be moved to the Newington Station topic.