Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1484024  by mainline

Does anyone know what the percent incline the railroad has to overcome? When viewed from the Harlem-125Th Street Platform looks to be a sharp increase in grade to the station.

Thanks for any info.

Bill
 #1484028  by DutchRailnut

tunnel has very little grade , the viaduct from cp 3 to 125 is were grade is ( a dip at mp 3.2) but that is park ave viaduct.
 #1484032  by mainline

So Park Ave Viaduct has a ? percent grade increase to NY 4 ?

Thanks Dutch
 #1484060  by dieciduej

Not sure if this will be helpful.
CP1 to CP4
CP1 to CP4
CP1 to CP4 (C).jpg (232.47 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
 #1484068  by Noel Weaver

I have some track charts of this territory but they are buried and might not become available for a bit. I believe the highest spot is 86th Street. I can remember working train 362 back when and when we passed 86th Street we would shut off and drift all the way to Melrose. Train 362 did not stop at 125th Street but it made just about everything from Mount Vernon to New Haven and took 4 hours to do that trip.
Noel Weaver
 #1484073  by mainline

Behind this location they must run upgrade. That is my question.

Thanks to all.
Attachments:
DSC_4175.jpg
DSC_4175.jpg (362.15 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
 #1484112  by JamesRR

Yes, that's the viaduct rising, which begins around 97th Street. It's stone, then it becomes a steel el-type structure.

You can see some very old images on this link from Forgotten NY, showing the viaduct rising at 97 St:

http://forgotten-ny.com/2017/10/park-av ... n-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks more drastic when viewed from the photo you shared because of foreshortening, but it's a fairly gradual rise.
 #1484135  by DutchRailnut

Not sure but one of great historians on Hudson line (George Kowaski) told me the slight raise at MP 2.2 is highest on water level rout at something like 27 feet
 #1484154  by Erie-Lackawanna

DutchRailnut wrote:Not sure but one of great historians on Hudson line (George Kowaski) told me the slight raise at MP 2.2 is highest on water level rout at something like 27 feet
Correct, 86th Street is the highest point between GCT and Albany.

Jim
 #1484968  by JamesRR

Looking at that photo, does anyone know offhand how far the direct fixation track goes north and south outside of 125 St?
 #1485195  by Ridgefielder

JamesRR wrote:Looking at that photo, does anyone know offhand how far the direct fixation track goes north and south outside of 125 St?
Southward, the direct fixation track ends at around 110th Street, where the steel viaduct ends and the stone arched structure with a ballast deck begins. Northward it extends to about 130th Street where it goes onto a ballasted deck on the approach to the Park Avenue bridge. The change in ride/sound was quite noticeable in the old (ACMU, M1-M6) equipment, not so much in the newer stuff.
 #1489234  by Jeff Smith

Noel Weaver wrote:I have some track charts of this territory but they are buried and might not become available for a bit. I believe the highest spot is 86th Street. I can remember working train 362 back when and when we passed 86th Street we would shut off and drift all the way to Melrose. Train 362 did not stop at 125th Street but it made just about everything from Mount Vernon to New Haven and took 4 hours to do that trip.
Noel Weaver
Wow, that's some serious coasting... and Melrose was probably still in daylight then. Also, including the long lost Columbus Av? :-D I think there were probably a few now closed stations in CT territory, too. No wonder it took 4 hours!