Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1381655  by urrengr2003

Picture taken 04-16 that appears on another website clearly shows the absence of a 3rd rail on #1 Track at Dobbs Ferry. Is this permanent (MTA Productive Gain) or temporary? What are the limits of this reduction in physical plant...other than the flexibility to operate a railroad.
 #1381668  by RearOfSignal

Yes no third rail from CP 19 to CP 25 and from CP 26 to CP 33 on track 1. Not sure when it was removed, but well before my time on the railroad. It's not temporary been that way for quite some time.
 #1381700  by DutchRailnut

MTA wanted to remove track one to save on maintenance, NY state DOT decided they could take third rail but had to maibntan track for Amtrak and Conrail (now CSX) in 1984.
some parts have had third rail restored due to work in area when track 3 was taken out of service.
 #1381758  by EuroStar

I am not saying that it needs to be restored, but at what point is it going to become an issue causing delays due to inability to run the electrics there? I can imagine it is not much of an issue because the Poughkeepsie trains run with diesels as does Amtrak. Or maybe it would never become an issue from a practical standpoint?
 #1381793  by truck6018

As it stands there have only been three usable tracks for over a year between CP 25 and CP 33. One of those tracks is diesel only, leaving tracks 2 and 3 for electrics. The folks in the OCC do what that have to do to keep trains running.

Of course there are occasions where things get backed up with either switch failures or disabled equipment. Those instances are the exception.
 #1382073  by ThreeIfByAir

According to the signs at Scarborough station, track 4 is supposed to come back into service this month. But there are only a few days left in the month and I'll believe it when I see it.
 #1389504  by ThreeIfByAir

Four of the eight bridgeplates at Scarborough have disappeared over the weekend. That obviously led to some morning peak delays, but I would assume it means that they're getting ready to put Track 4 back into action at the change of timetable on July 11.
 #1389516  by truck6018

ThreeIfByAir wrote:Four of the eight bridgeplates at Scarborough have disappeared over the weekend. That obviously led to some morning peak delays, but I would assume it means that they're getting ready to put Track 4 back into action at the change of timetable on July 11.
I don't know why the new timetable would make a difference. The times were not adjusted prior to erecting the bridge plates. The times in recent memory have been 2 minutes Ossining to Scarborough, 4 minutes Scarborough to Philipse Manor, 2 minutes Philipse Manor to Tarrytown (3 minutes on weekends).