Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1378646  by Nester

Are Shoreliner I/II cab cars considered by MNR to be handicapped-accessible? I've seen many that have seats removed to accommodate a wheelchair, but many does not equal all.

Nester
 #1378662  by DutchRailnut

the one seat is a fold up seat, with clamps under seat to secure wheel chair.
yes the cab car before arrival of center doors was only ADA car with ADA accessible bathroom.
 #1380002  by pnaw10

Nester wrote:Are Shoreliner I/II cab cars considered by MNR to be handicapped-accessible? I've seen many that have seats removed to accommodate a wheelchair, but many does not equal all.
According to http://web.mta.info/accessibility/rail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
"Many MTA commuter rail cars have designated seating for individuals with disabilities and senior citizens, as well as special wheelchair areas where the seats fold up to provide adequate floor space. Please station your wheelchair in the special area or position it in the vestibule area with wheels locked. "

The page covers both MNR and LIRR, without specifying specific types of rail cars... so I think you answered your own question - "many does not equal all."

It's been awhile, but if I am not mistaken, accessible cars also have a handcapped logo decal on the exterior sides.