Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1375182  by CP-4070

Hi all,

the only reasonable chat I had found about this topic was closed. In May, I would like to go hiking from a MN station in the Hudson Valley. What are your recommendations? It appears as the trails in the Hudson Highlands would be best reached from Breakneck Ridge halt. However, on the MN website, I found no scheduled stops on this station. It is only served on weekends? How does disembarking and boarding work on this "platform"? Do I have to be on a specfic door in the train? Do I have to talk to somebody, that I want to get off there?

I would also be interessted to do that on the west shore of the Hudson. Any recomendations for nice trails?

Thanks!

BR, Andrew
Last edited by CP-4070 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1375191  by DutchRailnut

Breakneck is served by 3 northbound and 2 southbounds on weekend only, Cold spring is only 2.5 miles south of trail and has hourly service.

Northbound trains are 8807 - 8811 - 8827
Southbound trains are 8835 - 8848
 #1375198  by RearOfSignal

Talk to the conductor when you get to one of those trains as only one door opens. The conductor will tell you which.
 #1375205  by MACTRAXX

CP4070:

The times those weekend trains stop at Breakneck Ridge are 9:09am; 10:09am and 2:09pm northbound and
1:09, 4:13 and 7:17pm southbound. Weekend schedules are operated on major holidays: Memorial Day, July
4th and Labor Day will be the next three coming in 2016. The train numbers are 8807, 8811 and 8827 north
and 8836, 8848 and 8860 southbound to GCT according to the current Hudson Line timetable.

Appalachian Trail on the Upper Harlem Line is served on weekends and holidays by these trains to Wassaic:
9911 at 9:49am and 9919 at 11:49am northbound. Both are shuttle trains from Southeast to Wassaic connecting
with through trains from GCT. Appalachian Trail is 2 miles from Pawling which has regular 7 days train service.

Southbound trains stopping at Appalachian Trail are: 9942 at 2:47pm; 9950 at 4:47pm. 9958 at 6:47pm operates
Saturdays only. All three are Wassaic-Southeast shuttles connecting with trains to GCT at Southeast Station.
On Sundays and Holidays through train 9960 stops at 7:06pm operating to GCT express S of White Plains.

I will second both Dutch and ROS with this added information since I am interested in this limited service myself.
Check with the train crew before boarding and get copies of both the Hudson Line (green) and Harlem Line (blue)
current branch timetables and go out and enjoy hiking in the scenic Hudson Highlands region of NYS.

MACTRAXX
 #1375614  by krispy

Another stop useful for hiking is Manitou, which is also limited service. But you can pick up the AT at the bridge there, and I've done that several times. The portion of the AT from the bridge to Fahnestock is vicious in terms of hilly terrain, so I've also got off in Garrison and walked up Philipse Brook and Highland to pick up the trail at the corner of Fahnestock. It's uphill but a fantastic walk. There's quite a few opportunities on the West of Hudson as well...
 #1375617  by DutchRailnut

and the other commuters really like Odor, when leaving the trail after several hours, or even multiple days.
it usually clears out entire car in no time.
 #1375643  by speedbird

CP-4070 wrote:...west shore of the Hudson
Sloatsburg and Tuxedo are suitable jumping-off spots for west-of-Hudson hikes.
 #1376560  by pnaw10

Per this post from Jeff Smith, there will be 3 additional trains in each direction stopping at Breakneck and Manitou every weekend, when the new schedules take effect on April 3, 2016.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=162136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1390816  by CP-4070

Coming back from my trip - I had a wonderful time - I was wondering if anybody can tell me what I have seen en route from the passing train near Fishkill. It looked like an old bridge with narrow gauge tracks on it. Anybody an idea what that is? You can see it in Google:

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.5319616, ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A.
 #1390837  by deathtopumpkins

CP-4070 wrote:Coming back from my trip - I had a wonderful time - I was wondering if anybody can tell me what I have seen en route from the passing train near Fishkill. It looked like an old bridge with narrow gauge tracks on it. Anybody an idea what that is? You can see it in Google:

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.5319616, ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A.
If I had to guess, I'd say it carries or used to carry pipes of some sort.
 #1390883  by DutchRailnut

wrong guess, the bridge and tracks were for narrow gauge railroad of stone factory. it is located just north of Beacon/newburg bridge
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1390976  by CP-4070

Ah, then I did see the right thing. Is there any information about the name of the former works or on the narrow gauge railroad itself?

Thanks!