Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1355718  by Travelsonic

What is being built on the Stamford bound side, just past the taxi stands, by Texas Chili? I've been observing the construction for a couple of weeks now while I watch trains, and I'm a wee bit puzzled as to what it is they are building.
 #1356600  by Jeff Smith

I'll ask in my You Know You're From Mamaroneck FB group (link to follow) later. That area on the western/Mam'k Ave end of the platform has always been under-utilized (same as on the inbound side); the last couple years it's been a bit of a wilderness, and the stairs down to Mam'k Avenue were closed at one point. I always thought that end could use a pedestrian bridge over the Avenue, maybe even a platform extension. But since that bridge is hit what seems like almost daily.... they really need over-height lights there.
 #1356887  by ajp

they've concreted the wilderness part and built what looks to be a lit 40 foot awning (akin to over the station platforms). Doesn't seem to make any sense other than a future place for TVM's, can't be a bus shelter - still have to go down stairs to Mamk Ave, it's not on street level, didn't look too hard to see power or water connections for anything else
 #1357100  by ajp

one other thing i failed to mentioned was that the concrete slab does not extend from the awning to the Mamk Ave stairs - a 30 foot gravel patch. Why the whole piece wasn't paved at once who knows.