Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1301286  by SouthernRailway

At least on Sundays, Metro-North runs Hudson Line diesel trains solely between GCT and Croton-Harmon. The whole trip is on electrified territory.

Why not run EMUs and use diesel locomotives only on trips that cover at least some non-electrified tracks?

Thanks.
 #1301287  by FL9AC

Croton-Harmon is the biggest maintenance facility on the railroad and our only diesel facility so on weekends the bombs are run to get fueled, toilets dumped, lubed, cleaned etc... They aren't run to burn through fuel there's always a purpose.
 #1301377  by rpjs

As a MNRR commuter I also prefer the Bombardier cars to the M-7As, and I'm sad that my usual morning train, #734, has changed recently from usually being diesel to usually being EMU. Having said that, the EMUs do keep better time.
 #1301393  by runningwithscalpels

I'd rather have M8's than Bomb cars, but then again I ride the armpit of system...I'm usually pretty grateful to get off the aromatic sewer scented equipment in Bridgeport ;)
 #1301445  by rohr turbo

FL9AC wrote:Croton-Harmon is the biggest maintenance facility on the railroad and our only diesel facility so on weekends the bombs are run to get fueled, toilets dumped, lubed, cleaned etc... They aren't run to burn through fuel there's always a purpose.
Really? You're saying these trains go a whole week between fueling, toilet dumping, and cleaning?
 #1301452  by DutchRailnut

no that is not what he said, but on weekends train cycles are different, and sets that normally get fueled serviced, inspected etc at Harmon do not make their same cycles as during week.