Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1301395  by runningwithscalpels

I was on an M8 not too long ago plastered in Johnnie Walker Black posters - I don't think booze advertisement would preclude a sponsorship if that avenue were to be explored.

That said, yeah, the Bar Car thing really does need to be dropped until some sort of concrete move is made one way or the other regarding them.
 #1301455  by DutchRailnut

big difference between sponsoring or advertising, now can we leave the flippin bar cars were they are, now where soon ??
 #1314132  by DutchRailnut

bar car said anyone ?? Like this that might never be produced ?
Attachments:
081310barcar.jpg
081310barcar.jpg (75.34 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
 #1314528  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:bar car said anyone ?? Like this that might never be produced ?
Is there a link to the new release containing this graphic? I remember seeing it quite some time ago lol
 #1314888  by Gilbert B Norman

I'd like to think that a Gannett owned publication, the Westchester County Journal News, is not in the business of making stuff up. But, absent that being the case, the Bar Cars could roll again over the New Haven Railroad.
 #1314906  by DutchRailnut

read who gives info , not Metro North or CDOT the newspaper just publishes what ever claptrap anyone puts forward.
 #1318089  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I'd like to think that a Gannett owned publication, the Westchester County Journal News, is not in the business of making stuff up. But, absent that being the case, the Bar Cars could roll again over the New Haven Railroad.
DutchRailnut wrote:read who gives info , not Metro North or CDOT the newspaper just publishes what ever claptrap anyone puts forward.
You guys argue like two little old ladies.

The Journal News clearly states that the source is the CT transport commissioner - a very official position. It also clearly states that he has no firm plans and is "looking for companies that might" retrofit bar cars - a very tentative status.
 #1336747  by Jeff Smith

I didn't see this posted in here, but why not convert the S-Cars to Bar Cars? They were after all meant for versatility.
 #1336751  by DutchRailnut

The S-cars will never be bar cars , no water provision, no extra cooling provision and no bathroom.
10 cars were specifically build for possible future bar car conversion (but may never be done)
pairs with B car to become bar cars maybe in very very future , nahh just kidding??? :
A/B Café Car Pair 9530 / 9631
A/B Café Car Pair 9532 / 9633
A/B Café Car Pair 9534 / 9635
A/B Café Car Pair 9536 / 9637
A/B Café Car Pair 9538 / 9639
A/B Café Car Pair 9540 / 9641
A/B Café Car Pair 9542 / 9643

its a lot more likely after endless CDOT studies that the 6 in number will just be changed to a 5 .
 #1337074  by Jeff Smith

Thanks I forgot that. I'm beginning to think this will either go by wayside, or carriage in those cars will require a higher fare, i.e. similar to a parlor car. If you're going to lose the capacity (and revenue) might as well go for more money.
 #1337125  by DutchRailnut

mark my words, there will not be any bar cars, not now or in future.
even CDOT found that the bar carts on GCT platforms make way more money than any bar service on trains.
 #1339598  by nomis

This is the splinter thread from the original M-8 thread :-)
 #1343167  by Travelsonic

DutchRailnut wrote:Image
I assume that is not meant to be to scale, right? Looks like those booths would be TINY if they were to scale. :P
 #1343184  by DutchRailnut

yes it is scale and no their still not converting M-8's to bar cars and probably never will.