Waterbury Branch Improvements: PTC, Sidings, Service

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Noel Weaver

Re: Waterbury Branch Improvements: PTC, Sidings, Service

Post by Noel Weaver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:39 pm

i ran one or two detours over the Maybrook Line via Stevenson and although it worked, it took a lot of time, involved single track and a couple of extra trains will cause a lot of congestion. It is slow running as well. It could improve but it will take plenty of dollars that Connecticut does not have as well as time.
Waterbury on the other hand could and probqbly should have a couple of through trains to and from New York. I think a couple of through trains would boost the ridership on this entire line. There is enough population between Derby and Waterbury to support more and better service and there are enough reasons for a one day trip to New York as well. There is not much in Bridgeport for anybody to go to but New York has lots to do.
Noel Weaver

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm not too surprised if the Maybrook Line is very slow. Several years from now, it might be a good line to run a suburb to suburb rail service, even a route maybe running between Harford and Danbury.

As for the Waterbury Branch, and in fact, with the diesel branches of MNR in general, yes, running locomotive hauled trains on the shuttles might be a waste. Running DMUs is the answer. Many of the stops on the Waterbury Branch are relatively close to each other. The same with the Danbury. It seems that single level DMUs might be able to handle the grades on the Danbury Branch. As for the through trains on the Waterbury Branch, it would be nice to have that service return. Three each way during the rush hour might be stretching it a little too far but I could see maybe starting out with two each way.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm

more advise from the unknowing ... really..
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm

MN has plenty of experience with RDC's and the SPV's in the past,then figured out it was better off with the "mini" push pull sets for the
branch "shuttle" services,along with the Harmon-Poughkeepsie,and Brewster North("Southeast")-Wassaic off peak services.
The Devon-Bridgeport-East Bridgeport Yard and return moves are the waste,time to bring back Devon as a station/transfer point.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

GirlOnTheTrain

Post by GirlOnTheTrain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:03 pm

They haven't used SLE sets since the crew base moved to Stamford.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail

twropr

Waterbury Branch Upgrades

Post by twropr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:14 pm

I read that Metro-North has been installing welded rail on the Waterbury Branch. Are there plans to install CTC (and ultimately PTC) on this line?
Andy

DutchRailnut

Re: Waterbury Branch Upgrades

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:39 pm

It has had welded rail since early 90's, no stick rail anywhere on MN other than Beacon line.
even yards are welded rail.
Yes even Waterbury branch is getting PTC as per FRA mandate.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:57 am

theseaandalifesaver wrote:SNIP... i'm honestly surprised MN still runs to Waterbury.
Lord knows they've tried to shut it down in the past.

I would agree on the mini's, except for the fact that they break down an awful lot and need to be replaced anyway. CtDOT's going to have to pony up for their replacements, and they may well decide to go a different direction than MNRR, even though they currently pool equipment, as they search for Hartford Line and SLE equipment. Maybe three cars isn't a waste on the Danbury, but it is on Waterbury.

The main thing, as Backshophoss says, is to make a Devon Transfer permanent, and eliminate Bridgeport as a transfer. Or, to do that, you could run a thru semi-express down to SoNo and a pocket track (this could work for turns to Danbury, too). Or Stamford. Hell, while we're at it, why not New Haven? That would be perfect for the PacMan theme CtDOT is running now on its Hartford/SLE.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 am

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:They haven't used SLE sets since the crew base moved to Stamford.
I think the one time I was up there a few years back, I caught the SLE set in Waterbury. Now it's PacMan, maybe CtDOT should have MNRR run a through train from Waterbury via Devon to New Haven or New London?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”