Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1261696  by MNCRR9000

I was was looking at the New Haven schedule and was wondering where trains with the prefix 12 and 14 deadhead from. For example 1211 and 1413. What is the numbering scheme for deadheads and extras?
 #1261742  by R36 Combine Coach

1200: locals in Westchester (NY intrastate)
1300: Stamford locals
1400: Bridgeport
1500: New Haven
1700: New Canaan (mostly shuttles, some weekday through)
1800: Danbury
1900: Waterbury

Weekend trains have "6" as first digit in place of 1.
 #1261758  by DutchRailnut

1400 trains are turns at South Norwalk as well.
all intermediate trains 1200 for example either deadhead from say Stamford to start their train at Harrison or New Rochelle.
or deadhead from GCT to turning point as 1000 series trains.
for example train 1040 turns at cp223 for train 1241 a Harrison local
or train 1404 works to south Norwalk and turns for train 1429

the reverse happens in afternoon rush hour.
for example train 1264 runs upto cp223 then turns for deadhead 1065 for GCT
 #1261853  by truck6018

MNCRR9000 wrote:Thanks for the info are all deadheads in the 1000 series range? Is there any type of schedule to when the deadheads operate or is it sporadic?
They are in the employee operating schedule.
 #1262343  by Tommy Meehan

I don't know if the New Haven Line deadheads more rush hour trains than the H&H but they deadhead a lot of trains. I remember being in GCT one evening several years ago when there was a problem and none of the deadhead westbound trains could get back for a while. This was around 6:30 and all the outbound NH Line trains were delayed on account of no equipment. The tracks on the east side of the Upper Level were empty and the concourse was packed with commuters.

Back in the day did the NYNH&H do as much deadheading?
 #1262344  by DutchRailnut

no, but they moved less than half of current commuters.
 #1262347  by Tommy Meehan

Yes I thought of that. They moved about 30,000 a day, way less than half. My impression was, the NYNH&H trains would make their run and then go to the yard. I used to watch the evening rush unfold at NWP back in the early 1960s and few if any arriving trains turned and deadheaded back to GCT.

This is one thing that always impresses me about MNR. How they utilize the equipment. Getting two rush hour runs out of one set of equipment. I don't have an ETT handy but I know some of the turnarounds are very tight.

You run a tight ship Dutch! :-D
 #1262388  by Train2009

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Isn't there a deadhead in the afternoon on a weeknday from New Haven to Bridgeport to coiver the evening Waterbury Shuttle?
Yes there is, a Shoreline East set deadheads from New Haven to Bridgeport, CT to do the 1:41 PM shuttle run to Waterbury then it leaves at 2:53 PM for Bridgeport. After the Shoreline East set ends its Waterbury shuttle run in Bridgeport it goes deadheading down to Stamford, CT for the 4:46 PM run to New London, CT, as for the Metro North Mini Shuttle set after it ends the run on train #1963 from Waterbury it deadheads up to New Haven yard for cleaning and Loco fueling. Then after all of the cleaning and fueling of the Loco is finish it deadheads down to Bridgeport for train #1934 to Waterbury.