Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1236329  by lirr42

Technically, Metro-North does not own anything form the Connecticut State Line to New Haven and none of the three branches, but I do believe the Connecticut Department of Transportation owns everything as far as the eastern limit of CP 274/CHAPEL which is roughly MP 72.9, or a quarter mile east of New Haven State Street.
 #1236343  by runningwithscalpels

fwilson01 wrote:I ask because if it is amtrak would that be the only section of rights that MNRR operates on that they do not own?
If you want to get technical the football train falls into that category...except it's seasonal.

Fairly sure it's CDOT owned rather than Amtrak, and as stated above...everything Metro North runs in the state of Connecticut is owned by CDOT - thus why fares for Port Chester, Rye, Mamaroneck, etc don't get jacked up at the same time as CT NHL stations.
 #1236437  by truck6018

fwilson01 wrote: I ask because if it is amtrak would that be the only section of rights that MNRR operates on that they do not own?
In the true use of the word, Metro North does not own any part of the territory. Metro North has a long term lease on the Harlem and Hudson Lines.
 #1236510  by Noel Weaver

Clean Cab wrote:I think it is owned by CDOT, but I know it is maintained by the New Haven Parking Authority.
New Haven Parking Authority owns the station and the parking garage and maintains them. I have doubts that the New Haven Parking Authority owns or maintains the tracks. I believe the tracks west of the division post are owned by CDOT and maintained by Metro-North just like the rest of the New Haven Line withing the borders of Connecticut.
Noel Weaver
 #1236536  by DutchRailnut

truck6018 wrote:
fwilson01 wrote: I ask because if it is amtrak would that be the only section of rights that MNRR operates on that they do not own?
In the true use of the word, Metro North does not own any part of the territory. Metro North has a long term lease on the Harlem and Hudson Lines.
Actually MTA (MN) owns new Haven line from Woodlawn to state line CT, yes both Harlem and Hudson are on lease purchase deal from American premier underwriters (Penn Central)
everything from state line to division post and branch lines is owned by CDOT.
 #1236547  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MNRR maintenance definitely extends to the phase change in the overhead before Amtrak takes over in 25 kV territory. Whether the phase change corresponds on-the-button to the division post between CDOT ownership and Amtrak ownership I'm not sure, but for practicality purposes the phase change is the only plausible divider between maintenance responsibilities.
 #1236555  by Noel Weaver

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:MNRR maintenance definitely extends to the phase change in the overhead before Amtrak takes over in 25 kV territory. Whether the phase change corresponds on-the-button to the division post between CDOT ownership and Amtrak ownership I'm not sure, but for practicality purposes the phase change is the only plausible divider between maintenance responsibilities.
The division post is at MP 72.9, the phase gap and voltage change is about 2/10 mile east of that point.
Noel Weaver
 #1236642  by mrsam

This is probably going to be the most stupid thing posted all year, but, eh, it's been a long day, and I have nothing better to do than to post dumb stuff on the interwebs.

But let's say the phase change separator, or whatever they call the non-conductive (fiberglass?) rod that divides both sides of the phase change snaps or breaks.

Who gets to fix it?
 #1236643  by lirr42

Mr. Sam, considering the voltage change is about 0.2 miles east of the division post at MP 72.9, as Mr. Weaver said, that is 0.2 miles into Amtrak territory, and therefore, would be their responsibility.
 #1236672  by Clean Cab

Noel Weaver wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:I think it is owned by CDOT, but I know it is maintained by the New Haven Parking Authority.
New Haven Parking Authority owns the station and the parking garage and maintains them. I have doubts that the New Haven Parking Authority owns or maintains the tracks. I believe the tracks west of the division post are owned by CDOT and maintained by Metro-North just like the rest of the New Haven Line withing the borders of Connecticut.
Noel Weaver
I misunderstood the question. Yes the NHPA does own and maintains the station. The tracks are owned by CDOT and maintained by MN all the way to division post with Amtrak at MP 72.9 (just west of the Olive Street overpass).