Waterbury incident

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Amtrak7

Waterbury incident

Post by Amtrak7 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

What happened on the Waterbury Branch today? 10:08am out of Waterbury was bused due to "disabled train in the vicinity of Derby Shelton", then the rest of the day was bused. Did somebody derail?

runningwithscalpels

Re: Waterbury incident

Post by runningwithscalpels » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 am

Where do people keep getting that idea? You're not the first person who I've heard come to that conclusion. I mean I don't work for Metro North or anything but perhaps they just didn't have a spare mini-bomb set hanging around in New Haven.

This morning's alert email said something about slippery rail too, so maybe they just need to take Waterworld for a spin up the branch first?

Even though it is Waterbury, I feel like given the general public feeling about Metro North lately, the media would be all over a derailment like white on rice.
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:38 am

Normally, a disabled train, track condition, or equipment problems that last longer than typical (several hours), especially one that lasts multiple days (as this one is, with the busing continuing this morning) is how the MTA announces a (very minor) derailment. NYC Subway is known for this.

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:52 am

Fair enough.

It is Waterbury though, so logic doesn't always apply though ;)
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

theozno

Post by theozno » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:18 am

I'm curious to know what it is myself. an explination of a "disabled train" for all of Saturday is making me curious for what the hell happened? train wheel fall off or something?
iPhone 5 with Verizon Unlimited Data plan

fl9m2004

Post by fl9m2004 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 am

If it was in the vicitnity of derby-shelton then I'm sure the passengers where probably in the rear 3 cars thats my guess
Because correct me if I'm wrong but every platform with the exception of Waterbury, Beacon Falls, and Bridgeport are lower ones
And correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't a sle set run light to Derby-Shelton and couple up and move the train

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 am

The first roundtrip of the day yesterday appeared to run as trains (unless the northbound is the disabled train in question). Any freights normally use that window between the first and second roundtrips?

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:25 am

are we done with conspiracies ??? the train broke, and no other train was available.
and no there are no freight trains on branch on weekends.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

freightguy

Post by freightguy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm

by theozno » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:18 am

I'm curious to know what it is myself. an explination of a "disabled train" for all of Saturday is making me curious for what the hell happened? train wheel fall off or something

Close enough
Signed off

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:25 pm

FL9 - Waterbury is the only branch station with a high level platform. (I'm not counting Bridgeport). Beacon Falls is barely a bus shelter. What does passenger placement have to do with anything? It was probably a mini anyway, and I've been on Waterbury maxis with one car open. Does it matter? Not really!

Why would they waste time/money/diesel running SLE equipment to move a dead train when Metro North has their own equipment to use????

NHAirLine

Post by NHAirLine » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:are we done with conspiracies ??? the train broke, and no other train was available.
and no there are no freight trains on branch on weekends.
No other train on a weekend? You've got to be kidding me. They're got SLE sets, and all sorts of other equipment on the system they could have used. That's just pathetic. Although then again, no one seems to know why the Waterbury branch exists on weekends (or maybe at all), so I doubt anybody really missed the service...

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I heard from an anonymous source that a train went all Paul Simon on us "slip slidin' away"...
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

NH2060

Post by NH2060 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:39 am

Jeff Smith wrote:I heard from an anonymous source that a train went all Paul Simon on us "slip slidin' away"...
Well it does happen "the nearer your destination"... ;-)

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 am

Correct train went in Emergency and slid for quite a distance flattening a wheel set on CDOT #125, the Engine had to be moved on a wheel set dolly to Harmon.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”