Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1222430  by ajp

has there been any further though - thru attrition of ticket vendors and increase in reverse riding levels to put TVM's on eastbound platforms at stations like Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye?
 #1222462  by Travelsonic

Hopefully on topic, but I seriously don't get why we don't have at least 1 TVM on both the GCT bound and Stamford bound platforms of some of these stations.
 #1222477  by DutchRailnut

Due to agreements with Ticket sellers union, MTA could only put X amount of machines in.
They want more , it will cost MTA.
 #1222960  by ajp

i was aware of the labor agreement and was wondering whether thru retirement or other attrition with less ticket sellers, more TVM's could be installed.
Also, unless i'm way off base, there are 3 TVM's in Mamaroneck westbound (unless I'm mistaking the M&M machine for a TVM) so why couldn't one of them be moved to the eastbound platform. There would be no increase in machine count, just a re distribution.
 #1223083  by Travelsonic

ajp wrote:Also, unless i'm way off base, there are 3 TVM's in Mamaroneck westbound (unless I'm mistaking the M&M machine for a TVM).
A candy machine, a soda machine, and 3 TVMs sounds right, but damn it, my memory is a bit fuzzy lately.
 #1224426  by Tadman

Much as I love automation, TVM's are sometimes a poor solution. I'm darn close to 1-for-1 this last year in finding TVM's out of tickets. It's caused me to miss a train, too, because you then have to go wait in a giant line for tickets. No fun...
 #1224561  by theozno

ajp wrote:has there been any further though - thru attrition of ticket vendors and increase in reverse riding levels to put TVM's on eastbound platforms at stations like Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye?
Had to pay $9 between Old Greenwich and Stamford the other day. I had an expired 10 trip. I think its a bunch of ____! that there are no ticket machines on the NB platform. I always get a 10 trip for that reason but even then I dont take the train enough and it was expired whoops! I think double checking my ticket before I take the train again is a must.