Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1214608  by redline43

hey all, quick question about tickets. I hold a one way off peak from Poughkeepsie to GCT ($17). is this ticket valid for West of Hudson services of equal or lesser value, say Salisbury Mills-Cornwall to Penn ($16)? I know tickets on the Port Jervis are part of the NJT fare structure but since both services are Metro-North doesn't the revenue all go in the same pot? any input is appreciated, thanks!
 #1214611  by lirr42

Not to my knowledge. WoH commutation tickets can be used on Hudson Line trains that have monthlies to GCT of equal or lesser value but I don't think it works the other way around. Especially one-way tickets.

The zones convert along these lines:
 #1214647  by truck6018

I don't know about east to west but LIRR is right about the West monthlies to the Hudson Line. If they want to go farther than the monthly allows, they get charged for a ride extention.

The zones aren't a straight zone to zone diversion. A WOH NYP to Campbell Hall ticket will get you into a different zone than a Hoboken to Campbell Hall ticket.
 #1214682  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: From MNCR's Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Line Timetable:

OPTIONAL ACCEPTANCE
Monthly and Weekly commutation tickets valid between New York-Penn Station
or Hoboken and Metro-North stations on the Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines
will be honored on Metro-North's Hudson Line between Grand Central Terminal
and Hudson Line stations when the value of the Port Jervis or Pascack Valley Line
ticket is equal to or greater than the value of the Hudson Line commutation ticket.
For further details contact Metro-North using 511 in NYS or 877-690-5114 from NJ.

From this information it looks like this policy does not include one way or
round trip excursion tickets.

MACTRAXX
 #1215146  by DutchRailnut

you won't, you will be charged the onboard fare and get a more expensive ride.
the WofH trains are manned by NJT personnel and a MN ticket sticks out like a sore thumb.
 #1215191  by truck6018

redline43 wrote:damn... thanks for the help anyways. devils advocate here, what am I wishing upon myself if I try and pull it off?
Do yourself the favor and save youself (and the conductor) the agravation. If you push the issue at best the conductor will hit you up for the on board. Other options are getting kicked off the train for non payment of the fare and as a last resort the conductor calling the police for non payment of fare.