Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

Re:

#1187478  by MBTA3247

Kevin-L wrote:Found this in an article here http://gothamist.com/2013/05/18/70_inju ... tro-no.php , Looks like an Insulated joint installed with angle bars. under the guy with the badge you can see the other joint and the side leads going to the bond box.
Sounds like it wasn't the rail that failed, but the joint bars.
 #1187479  by DutchRailnut

which is by definition part of rail structure ..
 #1187482  by DutchRailnut

correct as of 12pm they are working on rail.
 #1187506  by Jeff Smith

I'm going to open and merge some topics until we can clean the flame war. Next flame warrants a suspension. Let's keep the discussion civil. If you want to behave like a moron go to Jim Cameron's CT Rail Commuter Facebook group. It's hardly moderated at all. Lots of whining and flames there.
 #1187515  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks!

Officials are warning commuters to brace themselves. The good news is there will be buses to get everyone from Bridgeport to Stamford. The bad news is, there will be buses to get everyone from Bridgeport to Stamford. :(
Lengthy detours and hours of traffic backups were likely as many daily train commuters take to the road, officials said...."The Monday commute will be "extremely challenging and I am activating the state's Emergency Management System. There will be serious disruptions all week, and I would encourage anyone who can, to stay home, if possible," Governor Dannel Malloy told a news conference.
Link
 #1187523  by lirr42

Some photos from MTA's Flickr stream:

MNRR_4588 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_4555 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_1539 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_1510 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_1494 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_4583 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_4553 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_4543 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_1498 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
MNRR_1492 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
 #1187551  by Matt Johnson

If anyone happens to see any updates regarding the remaining critical patients (last I saw was one classified as "very critical") please pass them along. I pray that everyone survives this accident.
 #1187557  by drumz0rz

While obviously my first concern is with those injured in this accident, especially those critically, I wonder the fate of those rail-cars. Such a shame, they're still basically brand new. From that video it looks like there could be serious under-body damage to quite a few cars. It'll be interesting to see how many end up as razors blades.
 #1187561  by Freddy

I'm curious. From the pictures it appears Metro is doing the repairs themselves instead of using a service like Hulcher who show up, hit the ground on the run, remove the cars, bulldoze everything level, lay pallets, dump rock, tamp and pull a quick surface and start running trains with a slow order. It doesn't appear their doing that, to me at
least, and I'd think it'd be faster and more efficient if they did. They might be and I've just not seen it from the pictures I've viewed.
 #1187562  by lirr42

Freddy wrote:I'm curious. From the pictures it appears Metro is doing the repairs themselves instead of using a service like Hulcher who show up, hit the ground on the run, remove the cars, bulldoze everything level, lay pallets, dump rock, tamp and pull a quick surface and start running trains with a slow order. It doesn't appear their doing that, to me at
least, and I'd think it'd be faster and more efficient if they did. They might be and I've just not seen it from the pictures I've viewed.
Usually Metro-North and the LIRR do their repairs in-house, and their crews do an excellent job quite quickly (just look at what they did following the hurricane). MNR and LIRR have pretty extensive track departments and can defiantly handle the work.
 #1187576  by JimBoylan

Freddy wrote:it appears Metro is doing the repairs themselves instead of using a service like Hulcher who lay pallets.
Actually, some of the photos labeled "Metro-North Railroad crews worked to repair tracks" show that MN is using Hulcher decals and insignia on safety vests, hard hats, and bulldozers. I doubt that Hulcher stocks pallets of panel track, and Metro North isn't a freight railroad, so they probably don't, either.