Gov. Malloy To Replace CT Commuter Rail Council?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

NH2060

Gov. Malloy To Replace CT Commuter Rail Council?

Post by NH2060 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm

This time Jim Cameron really does have something to complain about.
http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Mal ... 368328.php

Steamboat Willie

Re: Gov. Malloy To Replace CT Commuter Rail Council?

Post by Steamboat Willie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 pm

I think it's a great move. You don't hear anywhere near as much racket on the NY side as you do in CT. I will even go as far as suggesting term limits for some of these heads (Mr. Cameron for example.) And take my word for it, that organization (CDOT commuter council) is not as ethical as people may think they are. The creditability of their evaluations of the RR at times is in serious question, have seen it myself a few years ago. Was always under the impression they see everything as the glass being half empty, when in reality CDOT and MN have made huge strides in improving commuting for people who ride the NHV line.

I sympathized with them partially a few years ago when over 40% of the fleet was crippled with the weather. On the other hand, I do not feel sorry because they elected officials who were anti-rail or just had no incentive to give a deeper look in modernizing the NHV line (ex-gov Rowland comes to mind.) It's hard to hold MN fully accountable when the operating costs are divided between NY and CDOT. Budget cuts trickle down and affect a lot of things, and car repairs was definitely one of them. So when the CTCC blames MN for it's woes, they'd better look to their local and state officials they voted in who could give a damn about the RR. And that is definitely not the RR's fault, that was your fault. Just sayin'....

F-line to Dudley via Park

Post by F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Malloy having appointment power for the chairman reeks of a cynical power grab and muzzling. I don't like that bit at all since a "citizens advisory" group needs to have the appearance of being independent. Can you imagine how well that will go over if we get another Administration as anti-rail as Rowland's was? Can't wait until Malloy's commuter rail advocacy starts spending all its time penning reverential odes to the Busway.

Everything else about it is long overdue. It needs to be inclusive of SLE, NHHS, and other passenger rail study areas outside of MN. And the Council had gotten so damn provincial and full of itself that it needed to be busted up. Cameron being chair-for-life with carte blanche to be as obnoxious as his ego is large is proof of the brainrot that had claimed that group. Total fumigation required.

I just really hope Malloy gets pressured to back off the personal mouthpiece appointment powers. That's incompatible with the aims of the group. Cameron's entrenchment was a symptom of lack of diversity in the membership, not an indictment of elected bodies in general.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm

I am pretty sure Governor Molloy will withdraw his bill, if the problem child of CCC resigns.
The CCC was created by Hartford and can be elliminated by Hartford.
Mr Cameron has pissed off everyone, inluding CDOT, Governor, legislators, MNCR, workers etc.
Time to seek a turnover or the CCC will bite the dust.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

NH2060

Post by NH2060 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:38 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:I am pretty sure Governor Molloy will withdraw his bill, if the problem child of CCC resigns.
The CCC was created by Hartford and can be elliminated by Hartford.
Mr Cameron has pissed off everyone, inluding CDOT, Governor, legislators, MNCR, workers etc.
Time to seek a turnover or the CCC will bite the dust.
Interesting, I was always under the impression that it was created by the commuters themselves with the recognition/stamp of approval of the state legislature, the Governor's office, etc. I completely agree though. Cameron is as much, if not more, of a nuisance than even the most obnoxious commuter. I seriously wonder if he has ANY idea on how things work. Every time he posts another editorial it just sounds like a whiny rant fest. That whole business about demanding that commuters be reimbursed for the tickets they couldn't use because of the snowstorm was nothing short of ridiculous.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:16 pm

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Instead of eliminating the council, I think that some guidelines need to be put into place as to who qualifies for the position of chair. Most importantly, they need to have at least a little bit of a clue about how the railroad operates, so that you don't get the windbag rants that come from the current chairman. Merely commuting on Metro North/SLE should not be qualification enough for the position of chair. Council member, fine...but the mouthpiece of the group should not be making a mockery of it every time they open their mouth or post something.

A term limit for the chairman would be nice too - 2 years sounds reasonable, no?

That's just my two cents worth though!
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

kitn1mcc

Post by kitn1mcc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:58 am

i do belive sle has a seperate council
Ui Company Meter Services

Lincoln78

Post by Lincoln78 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:47 am

The thing I like about Gov. Malloy is that he makes decisions.

Unfortunately I disagree with 90% of his decisions. He likes spending tax dollars, and seems to be the only person outside of New Britain who supports the busway.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Change may be a good thing in this case. Jim Cameron has done some good, but I know that some railroad officials treat him with disdain and only provide him with lip service.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Hmm I know Mr.Cameron has done you wrong, Mr Cleancab, He treats information as just that with no concideration where it comes from.
He is willing to sink anyone just to make himself look good., I have no use for him.
And as one official said:
>>Geez Cameron might jump off the roof. Couldnt happen to a more disengenious guy. This council under Cameron is nothing but a complaint board, and has done nothing to better relations with the railroad or promote good ideas. We should all attend his going away party.<<

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Speaking of complaint boards - the resultant group on Facebook should be disbanded too ;)

Don't know if any of you have read his whiny blog post about Malloy's threat to do away with the council (link) - but it sounds like he'll be flapping his gums for anyone who will listen even after they drag him out kicking and screaming...

All in all, should be interesting to see how things turn out.
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

railmason357

Post by railmason357 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:00 pm

The Ct Commuter Council is headed by a person who has no best interest in anything but hearing his name and seeing grandstanding as a way to self promote. Cameron has not accomplished anything good on that council and no matter what is explained to him he still goes out with what he wants anyway.

What possible good can he accomplish? He has alienated (sp) everyone who had dealings with the CCC and who were actually trying to help clarify things.

I think the Gov should draft up a new council and fashion it after the New York Council. They don't have such an antagonistic attitude with everyone like Cameron does.
Don't forget the workers! They are the ones that get it done and you don't need a book to learn from them. Common Sense.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 am

The council has become the Jim Cameron Show. Time to switch channels!!!
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

hcobin

Post by hcobin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 pm

There is a Shore Line East Riders Association (SLERA). Association member Lee Carlson, a resident of New Haven, also sits on the rail Commuter Council.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”