Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1136199  by hi55us

Does anyone know what's going on with the escalators in between the upper and lower levels at Grand Central? They've been under repair for nearly 6 months.
 #1137552  by Rah2005

Those escalators were notorious for breaking down. When construction began, they had a sign up with details of the work being done with a projected finish date. I'm not sure if that sign is still around.
 #1137563  by RearOfSignal

The sign says completion on or before February 1st. Not sure of the year though!
 #1137968  by hi55us

RearOfSignal wrote:The sign says completion on or before February 1st. Not sure of the year though!
No sign at the ones I use the most (towards the vanderbilt ave. exit near the starbucks). It seems as though they are focusing their efforts on the ones near the Grand Central Market right now.
 #1138035  by excitebike

The Grand Central Market escalators were in open operation for the first time this morning, with an employee from the contracted elevator company keeping a close eye on them.
 #1139636  by Tommy Meehan

Click here for a status page for GCT escalators and elevators. How often is it updated? Doesn't say.

I believe MTA is in the process of hiring a new contractor for elevator and escalator maintenance.

EDIT-Looks like it's updated in real time or pretty near it. When I posted this link earlier today there were just the two escalators near the Transit Museum store that were out-of-service. When I checked it again a few minutes ago they are now showing a third escalator -- one of the ones near Grand Central Market -- is now OOS.

But then I suppose that's the idea: current information for people who need them for access.
 #1140563  by hi55us

Tommy Meehan wrote:Click here for a status page for GCT escalators and elevators. How often is it updated? Doesn't say.

I believe MTA is in the process of hiring a new contractor for elevator and escalator maintenance.

EDIT-Looks like it's updated in real time or pretty near it. When I posted this link earlier today there were just the two escalators near the Transit Museum store that were out-of-service. When I checked it again a few minutes ago they are now showing a third escalator -- one of the ones near Grand Central Market -- is now OOS.

But then I suppose that's the idea: current information for people who need them for access.
Great, Thanks!
 #1140573  by Tommy Meehan

You're welcome.

Btw, I notice the No. 3 escalator near the Grand Central Market is working again.