Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1074717  by amm in ny

I don't know how many non-Hudson-line people heard about this, but yesterday evening, there were problems on the Hudson Line. The announcement at GCT simply said that there were "signal problems" on the Hudson Line and that passengers would do well to find alternate transportation, but not much more.

Today, a search of the MTA website brought up an article explaining the problems which had a rather testier tone than you usually see in MTA's public announcements. The bluntest part was
MTA wrote:Metro-North officials have repeatedly warned the contractor and developer to cease all work until the proper approvals were in place and told the parties that there were Metro-North utilities buried in the area. The complete disregard of these directives is inexcusable.
I sense quite a back-story here.

Is anyone in a position to tell any more? Or is this pretty much it?

FWIW, the Westchester County paper (the Journal News) seems to have missed this one entirely.
 #1074732  by lirr42

It looks like they just threw the contractor under the bus (or train). Glad to see it it only caused delays of 30 minutes or so instead of crippling the entire railroad like a certain other MTA agency...
 #1074733  by Backshophoss

IF the underground cables were propery marked out on the surface,and on the site "blueprints",this "developer" basicly disreguarded MNR's
guidelines for working near the tracks,and DIDN'T want to pay for a MNR worker to keep watch on the cables.
The "developer" should be held responceable for the costs involved on repairs to the cables and "Kicked Off" the site!!
 #1074776  by kitn1mcc

there are alot of these new age contractors doing work like this. they just don't care what they do and just do it. i wonder who is was
 #1074814  by Backshophoss

I suspect when the trees/ivy were removed,there were "incidents" trackside at that building,enough to raise the "hackles" of the
ET and Signal depts.,along with the Track dept. Mangement was notified to attempt to stop the "incidents",the "developer/contractor"
ignoired any form of contact from MNR.
If the "developer/contractor" didn't believe MNR on the location of the underground cables,they could have called a
"call before you dig service" to mark where the cables were. "New age" or not,they hit the cables and disrupted service,
it was avoidable.
 #1074870  by truck6018

lirr42 wrote:It looks like they just threw the contractor under the bus (or train). Glad to see it it only caused delays of 30 minutes or so instead of crippling the entire railroad like a certain other MTA agency...
The contractor threw themselves under the train by digging on property that wasn't there's (allegedly).

While it didn't cripple the entire railroad or even the line, there were numerous trains annulled and combined. Being it was a relatively short piece of territory that was out all trains ran restricted between CP12 and CP19. I think it was just above Glenwood Station that north bound trains were able to pick up any sort of code in the rail.
 #1074923  by SecaucusJunction

If this was the Port Jervis Line, it would have probably been several months before service could have been restored.......
 #1075293  by SecaucusJunction

Goodness gracious, it was a simple joke to try to get a chuckle... that whole thing went down a year ago. Can't we get over it by now? No one has been more supportive of MTA and their operations than me. Ask the NJT folks.
 #1075315  by blockline4180

SJ just has some crazy things going on in his head sometimes, especially when it comes to his Anti West of Hudson diatribes....
I wouldn't take what he says personally!!! LOL
 #1078207  by bigK

I was at the Poughkeepsiestation today - Sat. 09-01-12 between 11:00 AM and1:45 PM, - for some Amtrak train watching (with and without pvt. car) and MNRR train watching (with and without loco new paint job/scheme)

there were quiite a number of late trains both RRs

here is what I had observed:

the Pok. station now has those new graphic displays for train info - nice except at first was reporting both Amtrak and MNRR northbound trains were on time

11:04 anouncement Amtrak train no. 280 to PS will be late 5 min. - suposed to arrive as per sched 11:05 AM
11:16 Amtrak no. 280 actualy arrives 11 min. late

another anouncement is made that the MNRR train no. 8815 from GCT due to arrive at Pok. 11:32 will be 5 min late
11:36 MNRR train from GCT arrives (so much for MNRR's 97% on time record)

12:00 PM new anouncement for Amtrak train no. 281 (the one with pvt. car) will be 25-30 min late due to track work (this is what THIS anouncement said as to cause of delay) - WAS suposed to arrive as per sched 11:36 AM
12:10 PM Amtrak no. 281 actualy arrives 34 min late

it should be noted that the anouncer (computer?or human?) kept getting the train times wrong by a tad - 1:10 for 1:08 etc.

THEN... (thee are those who may be wondering at this point what all this has to do with this post...)
1:08 PM anouncement Amtrak no. 233 to ALB (reported as the 1:10 but actualy is 1:08 at Pok.) will be 10-15 min late due to.... SIGNAL FAILURE - and there is the connection to this post

1:30 PM another anouncement that the MNRR 1:35 from GCT will be 10-15 min late due to the above signal problem

'back hoe Billy' strikes again?? or maybe a diferent problem with the signaling at a diferant location?

the term 'signal failure' was used in the last 2 anouncements - but in the earlier anouncement the term 'track work' was used

it seems the northbound trains were afected the most