Railroad Forums 

• Silver Line Thread/Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#257205  by sabourinj

Well they are testing the bus arival messages again on the silver line, as promised. The Union Park inbound station shows an estimated time till arrival, along with a message that the arrival messages are in testing.

JS

#260485  by sabourinj

sabourinj wrote:Well they are testing the bus arival messages again on the silver line, as promised. The Union Park inbound station shows an estimated time till arrival, along with a message that the arrival messages are in testing.

JS
Arrival messages seem to be working fairly well, yesterday it actually counted down and said arriving as the bus rounded the corner to Union Park station.

JS

#261470  by number1tfan

According to NeTransit, 1112 is out of service at Everett (misspelled Evewrett) for an accident repair.

#267586  by Ron Newman

Anyone know if the Silver Line is still running to and from the airport, after last night's ceiling collapse in the Ted Williams Tunnel?

#267592  by Robert Paniagua

According to MBTA.com, it's still running but with delays. I assume they may be using the Callaghan and Sumner Tunnels to get in/out of Logan Airport.

#267726  by CJ

I wonder what 'emergency tunnel' they are using, the only openings big enough to get a SL bus through them would be either the HOV lane, or that ramp that comes down by the CA/T OCC. Any Ideas?

#268180  by Leo Sullivan

The outbound Silver Line is using the emergency access ramp on the outbound side of the open cut between the 'accident' tunnel and the Ted Williams almost opposite Silver Line Way. It turns out to be quite adequate for the artics, wider and more easily curved than the turnaround beyond So. Sta. The grade though steep is no worse than many others on the system and the merge appears reasonable, particularly for an all professional driver outfit. The empty tunnel is quite a strange experience. There is a little congestion inbound but not as bad as it could be. media coverage has cut use to almost the right level for remaining capacity. Cooperation and common sense have made this particular emergency almost painless for the Silver Line and passengers.
LS

#268186  by ckb

I wonder if a "Silver Lining" (sorry, couldn't help myself) of this whole debacle could be a permanent use of this access ramp?

#268307  by AgentSkelly

I took the Sliver Line to my hotel, the Logan Hilton last weekend and I was very impressed with the Silver Line.

The Air Conditioning was perfect. When the bus switched to Diesel, I barely noticed the temperature drop between the engine restart.

#269706  by jck

That emergency onramp easily shaved 5 minutes off the trip, it was almost surreal how quickly we were out of SL Way and in the TWT.

I wonder if there is any chance that they will continue to allow the Silver Line to use this ramp once this debacle is over.

#270701  by AznSumtinSumtin

There's a Silver Line bus inside the Watertown Carhouse. I couldn't see it very well. I couldn't get its number or what type of bus it is. Does anyone have any explanations?

#270961  by CJ

Well, WHDH is reporting that the governor called for a shutdown of the TWT east.

How is this going to affect the silver line, unless they go 2 ways inside the TWT west, but I am doubting that. Oh the delays!

Edit- From the T's site:
Due to the closing of the eastbound lane of the Ted Williams tunnel, Silver Line service is running between all Logan Airport terminals and Airport Station on the Blue Line. Passengers desiring service into Boston can get off at Aquarium Station and re-board the Silver Line for service to the Boston waterfront. Passengers can also remain on the Blue Line for service into Downtown Boston. Passengers on subway service should remain on the subway to the Blue Line for service to Logan Airport. Silver Line passengers should get off at Silver Line Way for shuttle bus service to Aquarium Station to tranfer to the Blue Line.
Would be nice if it stuck, but alas, it will probably be like this for quite a while!

#276249  by StevieC48

Silver Line Thread will remain active and will not be abolished.

#276280  by danib62

StevieC48 wrote:Silver Line Thread will remain active and will not be abolished.
Way to feed into the MBTA's propganda that the silver line is in fact on par with the rest of the rapid transit system! :wink:

#438194  by RussNelson

Rode the "Silver Line" a few weeks ago, for the first time. Very unimpressed. If I wanted to ride the bus, I would have ridden the bus. Instead, I got to ride a bus when I wanted to ride a train. Noisy and bumpy. Bleh.