Railroad Forums 

• Grand Junction Branch (The North/South Side Connection)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1514146  by Jeff Smith

CRail wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 am The school has zero control over what the owners of the rail line decide to do with it. With political clout, and since the owner in this case is the state, they may have the weight to sway a decision, but it is not ultimately up to them to decide what happens. It is absolutely a no brainer to use this line for passenger service and to serve Kendall Square.

You’re not going to see any new developments with the line until after the Pike realignment is done, but post West Station I guarantee the GJ will be a passenger route.
From your lips to God's ears...

West Station? Not familiar with that. I know North and South lol, and East would presumably be in the "ha-bore" :P .
 #1514166  by ceo

Looking at Street View, there's easily room for 2 tracks under the building. I think light rail would be an excellent use of the corridor; not only can it tie into the Green Line near BET, but it could be part of a light-rail Urban Ring that goes up through Chelsea.
 #1514207  by Arborwayfan

Well, in the early 90s Harvard ran a shuttle bus from the Yard to the Medical School that was, I think, open to anyone who walked up to the right office and bought a ticket. It was almost public transportation and the only one-seat ride between the two places.
 #1514230  by diburning

charlesriverbranch wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:20 am Well, a long time ago Harvard used to operate a ferry between Boston and what was then the independent town of Charlestown, but I can't think of any recent examples of university-supported public transportation.
The Charles River EZ-Ride is a private-public transit system that's paid for by organizations that benefit from having the service, MIT included. MIT students and faculty can ride EZ Ride for free with an MIT ID, and the public can ride it as well for a small fare (It's like $2).

Just because MIT might not need or benefit from the Grand Junction carrying passenger service and/or a Kendall stop, doesn't mean that the employees of other businesses (there are plenty of biolabs there) won't. The great thing about the MBTA is that it serves EVERYONE.
 #1514405  by CRail

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 amWest Station? Not familiar with that. I know North and South lol, and East would presumably be in the "ha-bore" :P .
It doesn't exist yet. It is a proposed station for through and terminating trips located on the Beacon Park site. The site will include a passenger station and layover facility.