Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Internet (Wifi) on Commuter Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#499788  by concordgirl

Diverging Route wrote:
It's tough to type two-handed sitting on the aisle of a 3-seater when three are in the seat!
Very cool post! Neat :-) And hopefully a problem I won't have with typing on my iPod...

#499833  by jgeary27

Car 914 equipped. I resisted the temptation to post this from the train, and waited until I got to work. :-)

#499903  by bierhere

Car #514 had wifi. Based on IP addresses assigned it looked like there were 32+ users.

#499910  by sery2831

If you post the car number, please make sure it has not been listed already. And can you please let us know if it's North or South Side.

Thanks

#499997  by bierhere

Car # 507
Southside
SSID = MBTA_507 ( first car not using Commuter Rail Connect , that I've seen)

Has both B and G wireless support. Until today, I've only seen B.

#500187  by Robert Paniagua

Caught two more WiFi cars last nightwhile at BBY.

Mersshermittz B Car 508 (while on Train 715 to Forge Park)

Kawasaki 932 (while on 979 which i boarded to get to Route 128)

So, two more cars can now join the WiFi lineup

#500246  by theinsider

I have yet to see a 900 that does not have Wifi. I have a feeling that all the 900's got it first.

#500330  by Diverging Route

theinsider wrote:I have yet to see a 900 that does not have Wifi. I have a feeling that all the 900's got it first.
Is this true for the door-enabled part of the fleet (900-915), that is mostly dedicated to the OC lines?

#500338  by ags

They may be designed for the old colony branches, but they run everywhere on the south side (maybe the north side too?). Daily equipment failures, equipment shortages, and delays require shuffling trains around to accommodate the schedules, so even the T cannot guarantee a certain car to run on a specific route on a given day.

#500361  by Diverging Route

ags wrote:They may be designed for the old colony branches, but they run everywhere on the south side (maybe the north side too?). Daily equipment failures, equipment shortages, and delays require shuffling trains around to accommodate the schedules, so even the T cannot guarantee a certain car to run on a specific route on a given day.
The 900s don't roam the North Side. Except for non-rev visits to BET, the north side has only single-level cars.

#500407  by RussNelson

Diverging Route wrote:It's tough to type two-handed sitting on the aisle of a 3-seater when three are in the seat!
You need one of my one-handed bluetooth keyboards! http://russnelson.com/chordite/

#500574  by theinsider

Diverging Route wrote:
theinsider wrote:I have yet to see a 900 that does not have Wifi. I have a feeling that all the 900's got it first.
Is this true for the door-enabled part of the fleet (900-915), that is mostly dedicated to the OC lines?
Yep, seen em on both OC and regular trains.

#500857  by Epsilon

I was on 910 today- there was a WiFi sticker on, and I was able to connect to the "Commuter Rail Connect" network, but whenever I tried to view a website I got an error message...

#500887  by sery2831

I was in car 530 today and it has a different wifi set up than the other two cars I have seen. It also is not hooked up. This car has a green box with a PCIMA Sprint Air card sticking out of it! I did not see any type of cards in the other two cars. I wonder what the deal with this car is.

#500996  by concordgirl

Weird! You should totally try and find out more.... I'll keep an eye out for that car tonight too :-)