Railroad Forums 

• Green Line speeds and operations.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1502541  by Cosakita18

As someone who frequently rides the GL, I've always been curious about some of the seemingly unnecessary slowdowns and speed restrictions. Particularly, I've always wondered why trains slow to a near-stop before they enter a platform, and then proceed into the station at 10 mph. It seems they do this at every station, regardless of whether it is underground or street level. I know GL riders are used to frequent stopping and starting, but to me it seems like some slowdowns are largely unnecessary. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this.
 #1503220  by LostMPonTheGreenⓉ

The EGE is correct. Speeds through ANY grade crossing and platforms are restricted to 10mph until the appropriate headway sign is reached, or enough space as to allow the entire train to clear the crossing or platform. Crazy I know, but now you know why the BC line takes forever!
 #1503295  by troffey

Do either of you know the reasoning behind the rule? It just strikes me as an odd requirement to impose on transit when main line rail seems to work alright without the same restrictions.
 #1503357  by Disney Guy

Could the 10 MPH speed have something to do with an incident some years ago when the center truck of a Type 8 went off perfectly straight track and the car body swerved to the right although fortunately not crushing a person or two against a concrete Jersey barrier on the other side of the narrow platform?