Green Line speeds and operations.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Cosakita18

Green Line speeds and operations.

Post by Cosakita18 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:45 pm

As someone who frequently rides the GL, I've always been curious about some of the seemingly unnecessary slowdowns and speed restrictions. Particularly, I've always wondered why trains slow to a near-stop before they enter a platform, and then proceed into the station at 10 mph. It seems they do this at every station, regardless of whether it is underground or street level. I know GL riders are used to frequent stopping and starting, but to me it seems like some slowdowns are largely unnecessary. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

The EGE

Re: Green Line speeds and operations.

Post by The EGE » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:27 am

10 mph through platforms (and grade crossings) is a Massachusetts Public Utilities Commission rule.

LostMPonTheGreenⓉ

Post by LostMPonTheGreenⓉ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 pm

The EGE is correct. Speeds through ANY grade crossing and platforms are restricted to 10mph until the appropriate headway sign is reached, or enough space as to allow the entire train to clear the crossing or platform. Crazy I know, but now you know why the BC line takes forever!

troffey

Post by troffey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Do either of you know the reasoning behind the rule? It just strikes me as an odd requirement to impose on transit when main line rail seems to work alright without the same restrictions.

Disney Guy

Post by Disney Guy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 am

Could the 10 MPH speed have something to do with an incident some years ago when the center truck of a Type 8 went off perfectly straight track and the car body swerved to the right although fortunately not crushing a person or two against a concrete Jersey barrier on the other side of the narrow platform?
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.

Return to “Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)”