Railroad Forums 

• Franklin Line Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1503757  by BostonUrbEx

The diamonds at FX were removed about 15 years ago, although they may "soon" (railroad soon, not actually soon) be coming back if either of a couple different plans pan out. The signals once protecting the diamond are colloquially referred to as "The Old Diamond."
 #1503887  by CRail

Yes, the one at FX was removed. Swift has a diamond, Beverly Junction has one with movable point frogs (but it is not a switch), one within a universal crossover in the North Termnal area (outside of North Station) and there a bunch in and around Southampton street. I can’t think of any others outside of Boston though.
 #1504251  by CRail

Hah! YOU did not stray off topic, we were already way, way off. Thank you for doing the research to find that thread!
 #1523300  by thomas1897

Can the Franklin Line be extended into the Blackstone Valley area connecting on to Woonsocket Rhode Island. This would provide service to an area that is growing.
 #1523326  by charding

...actually, at one time the Franklin Line did extend to Blackstone...but a bridge out west of Franklin and cost to repair stopped the service...but a good idea...
 #1523346  by jaymac

NIMBYpalooza will likely ensue, especially since some of the backyards in question probably got bigger with the abandonment.
 #1525153  by MaineCoonCat

My Aunt-in-law works with the Norfolk Historical Commission as a member. They are looking for photos of the arch bridge over Campbell Street prior to the reconstruction in 2000-2001. The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Records. Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries doesn't have anything. Any and all help appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you wish..
Campbell Street Norfolk bridge (2013 Google Earth)
Campbell Street Norfolk bridge (2013 Google Earth)
Campbell Street Norfolk bridge 2013 Google Earth.PNG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3805 times
ADVATHANKSNCE!,
Melissa.
 #1525492  by The EGE

The MBTA announced two further phases of the double-tracking project today:

Phase 2, which will begin construction after Phase 1 is complete this December, will add "another 3.5 miles of double track west from Norfolk Station to Frank Street, which is just east of Franklin Station". I assume that means Frank interlocking, as there is no Frank Street. 3.5 miles from there is west of Norfolk station, so I guess they're avoiding all station work in that phase. But it'll allow headways to drop from 45 to 35 minutes. (Where are they getting the extra rolling stock?)

Phase 3, which will begin design in 2020, will complete double-tracking on the "entire line between South Station in Boston and Franklin Station". I take that to include the 4-mile gap from Walpole to Norwood, the small gap at Norwood, and one or both sides at Readville. That would involve new platforms (and thus very likely ADA modifications) at Windsor Gardens and Walpole, and additional/modified platforms at Norfolk and Readville. Plimptonville will probably bite the dust.
 #1525856  by Commuterrail1050

In my opinion the plimptonville stop needs to be eliminated because only one train for each rushour serves it and it has the least boardings out of all the other stations. I'm not sure if it's franklin through Norwood central but I would assume if it's double tracked they will install another platform to make it 2. This would greatly improve service on the Franklin line. I look forward to seeing it in 2021 when the work is completed.
 #1531741  by Tom coughlin

Actually, Plimptonville was eliminated for a while in 1981. I was a regular commuter from that station at the time. After a lot of protests, especially by one patron in particular, the stop was reinstated a few months later. This was when the T was making a lot of cuts effective February 1, 1981; the remainder of the Woburn Loop, West Gloucester, Pawtucket/Central Falls and Providence come to mind although the latter 2 got a one month reprieve at the 11th hour.

The rider who advocated for Plimptonville was named Bob but his last name escapes me.

The last service to Plimptonville was scheduled for Friday January 30th. Over the weekend Bob called all of the regular commuters using the stop (8 to 10 patrons). He asked them to show up at the station at the usual time on Monday, Feb 2nd. That morning, dad and I arrived at the station and who was there but WBZ reporter Shelby Scott with a camera crew. Bob flagged the train down and we all got on. The story was carried on ‘BZ’s evening broadcast that day.

To get this back on topic, I’ve never heard about any agreement requiring a stop at Plimptonville. If this isn’t true the the stop could be dropped again. What will likely kill the stop is the need to upgrade the station to meet ADA requirements as part of the double track project. The cost might be too high given the ridership at Plimptonville not to mention the lack of space.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA (but grew up in Plimptonville).
 #1531754  by MBTA3247

If there was an agreement, would it still be legally enforceable?
 #1531772  by charding

...Tom, his name was Bob Stewart...a hero to commuters...Bob was never shy about strapping on unusual causes...for years, he was Walpole’s veterans agent...a favorite of my folks...