North Adams - Boston Passenger Service Study

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

North Adams - Boston Passenger Service Study

Post by Jeff Smith » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:10 pm

https://www.recorder.com/New-State-Sena ... n-23022144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn’t see mention of BSRM.

Topic on MassDOT purchase: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=160407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comerford proposes bill to study rail service from North Adams to Boston
Newly elected state Sen. Jo Comerford, D-Northampton, has proposed a bill to study the feasibility of rail service from North Adams to Boston.

“The idea and the urging came really from the grassroots during my campaign,” Comerford, who represents the Franklin, Worcester and Hampshire District, said in a phone interview this week.

There is no passenger rail service connecting North Adams to Boston at the moment, but a freight service currently operates along much of that line, according to the Mass. Department of Transportation’s State Rail Plan released last year.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Traingeek3629

Re: North Adams - Boston Passenger Service Study

Post by Traingeek3629 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:37 pm

It's a nice idea, but I'd have to say this is pie-in-the-sky. Nobody would commute to Boston from west of Springfield unless there was a high-speed train that could make Springfield-Boston in under an hour.

For now, I think it would be much better to focus on getting service to Nashua and eventually Manchester, and adding a couple trains to Springfield.
TRAIN APPROACHING, PLEASE REMAIN BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE

shizzy617

Post by shizzy617 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Before North Adams becomes a reality, I personally think Springfield deserves some rail service to Boston if rail capacity can be optimized and extra terminals can be constructed on the South Side

Safetee

Post by Safetee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm

I think that greenfield would be an excellent east west connector for vermont and western mass folks who want to get to north station with its access to downeast and north shore destinations as well as cambridge, mass general, and the garden. as far as north adams is concerned it would be at least initially be worth a shuttle bus service connecting to Greenfield for a boston train or the knowledge corridor.

benboston

Post by benboston » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:00 am

So, would this be an extension of the Fitchburg Line?

MBTA3247

Post by MBTA3247 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:21 am

If you're going out all the way to North Adams, you might as well bring New York into the mix and send trains all the way to Albany. I imagine that North Adams is more economically connected to there than it is to Boston, and that also gives you an inland route between NYC and Boston.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 am

Good luck getting CSX and PAR to allow this run. North Adams was NYC and had connections with Harlem line trains at Chatham to NY City.
Better off bringing back the Inland route trains to Boston!
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

johnpbarlow

Post by johnpbarlow » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 am

I think Pan Am would love this idea! What better way for PAS / District 3 to get its sorry track (west of Westminster CPF-335) rehabbed and upgraded to 40mph MAS for freight is there? Pan Am can say they don't like the proposal but that would just be a negotiating tactic to get a few more sidings as well as heavier rail installed, and PTC gear outfitted on additional locomotives all paid for by ever generous MassDOT. Plus maybe Pan Am could get the Boston - N Adams upgrade extended a few more miles to Williamstown. Oh, and get MassDOT to pay for (or at least make substantial $ contribution to) enlarging Hoosac Tunnel to full domestic double stack clearances. I think NS would endorse this idea, too. :wink:

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 am

I agree. They got a great upgraded railroad when the Downeasters started running on part of District 2.
benboston wrote:So, would this be an extension of the Fitchburg Line?
Yes.

benboston

Post by benboston » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:53 am

This is a good way of avoiding CSX on the B&A main. Could be used for additional service...

Aerie

Post by Aerie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:24 pm

When I was a little kid, growing up in Somerville, I remember that the Cambridge B&M station (at Porter Sq.) had a sign touting the Minuteman to Chicago! The train hadn't operated for years, but there was still a sign.

newpylong

Post by newpylong » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Good luck getting CSX and PAR to allow this run. North Adams was NYC and had connections with Harlem line trains at Chatham to NY City.
Better off bringing back the Inland route trains to Boston!
This would likely be on the B&M the whole way, not CSX.

BandA

Post by BandA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:53 am

I thought the line west of Wachusett got too curvy & slow to be practical.

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:55 am

Let's not forget that commuter rail used to run out to Gardner. It didn't go well, but that was then and this is now. I doubt the North Adams proposal has commuting in mind as part of the plan. But who knows?

jaymac

Post by jaymac » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 am

Unless James Earl Jones does a "Build It and They Will Come" voiceover that hypnotizes the Great and General Court into showering money on the PAS part of the FML, this -- to use technical phrasing -- ain't gonna happen. The Honorable Gentleman will be able to tell his constituents that he tried and also be able to blame the failure on others.
Even with double track and 60 gravel/70 stone mph MAS in The Minuteman days, it was a 3+ hour trip one-way. Where is the supporting population density or points of interest to cause people to consume almost 1 full work-day for a round-trip on someone else's schedule?
If the rep wants to help his district, mebbe money for double-stacking the tunnel so the FML because more of a serious competitor.
"Watching trains is better than smoking meth."
--Source, location, and time undisclosed.

Return to “Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)”