Railroad Forums 

• BERy Trivia / Seashore Trivia

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1327795  by Gerry6309

Think residential, like a certain street in Lower Manhattan.
Take the A Train, Not the E (Even New York has connecting stations with different names!)
So we have a street name which describes a residence, and has a different station name on the A train than it does on the E

There is only one station in Lower Manhattan that meets that criteria, and its rather well known:

On the E train its called WORLD TRADE CENTER (nee HUDSON TERMINAL) but on the A train its called CHAMBERS St.

Thus the original name for Aquarium Station is: ATLANTIC CHAMBERS
 #1327819  by Cosmo

Ok, I think you're ALL wrong (but I'm just silly that way :-) ) the correct name (based on the FIRST clue) would be "ATLANTIC AVENUE"
 #1327827  by The EGE

Atlantic Chambers? I have never heard that name anywhere in old documents. I don't disbelieve you, but I can't find it listed anywhere. By the 1902 BTC report, it was firmly "Atlantic Avenue".
 #1327844  by BandA

The EGE wrote:Atlantic Chambers? I have never heard that name anywhere in old documents. I don't disbelieve you, but I can't find it listed anywhere. By the 1902 BTC report, it was firmly "Atlantic Avenue".
This describes Atlantic Chambers as part of the station, perhaps during construction. Read the juicy bits about the blowout on page 29 & 30, and also page 31 about the 97 foot deep well with wooden pipe lined with thick lead pipe, that was built July 12 to Sep 9 1797 to supply drinking water to ships that had to be removed during construction. Amazing that you can dig a fresh water well next to the ocean! Since they didn't have effective pumps, it must have been an artesian well
Annual Report of the Boston Transit Commission, for the Year Ending ...: Volume 18
Boston Transit Commission - January 1, 1912
Rockwell and Churchill - Publisher
pp 31
Atlantic Chambers Open Cut Portion of Section B It has been convenient to call the structure at the easterly end of the passenger station at Atlantic avenue Atlantic Chambers This will contain stairways elevators ticket ofiices and the easterly end of the platforms of the station A description was given of it in the Eighth Annual Report and the methods of construction were also described At the time of the last report June 30 1902 about one third of the trench and about one third of the wall had been completed As the trench was extended in process of construction the amount of water which leaked through the stratum of logs stone and filled material of course increased ....
 #1327868  by Gerry6309

According to another poster here, the term ATLANTIC CHAMBERS was used as late as the 1920s, in internal correspondence. Looking at Wikipedia, the station list was an easy grab, I intended to include a question about the station between Wood Island and Orient Heights, HARBOR VIEW. This station was near the point where the tangent section ends today. Also Suffolk Downs was originally BELLE ISLE.
 #1329688  by Gerry6309

Here is a question with a relatively small number of possible answers:

Which horsecar operator established the terminal at Post Office Sq. ?
 #1329859  by Gerry6309

Gerry6309 wrote:Here is a question with a relatively small number of possible answers:

Which horsecar operator established the terminal at Post Office Sq. ?
The possible answers are:

Metropolitan RR

Cambridge RR

Middlesex RR

SouthBoston RR

Highland St. Ry.

Charles River RR
 #1330178  by Gerry6309

Come on now, logic can eliminate at least two of these, and the old horsecar directories on line can take out another. It shouldn't take to many guesses.
 #1331348  by Gerry6309

I am going to leave that one open...

Meanwhile, of the nine numbered streets in South Boston, which one never hosted streetcar rails? East or West doesn't matter. Cypher (zero) doesn't count.
 #1333441  by Gerry6309

I am very disappointed that neither of these questions sparked a response, as in each case there was a limited number of answers.

First: Post Office Square

The South Boston was the first to operate through the area, primarily using Milk St. and Congress St. on its way to its terminal at Brattle Sq.

The Metropolitan shared the track on its way to the Ferries and the Northern Depots.

The Highland built its own double track route to Post Office Square from Kneeland St., along South, High, Federal and Milk Sts., sharing some track with South Boston rails along South, Federal and Milk. It built its own stub end terminal at Post Office Square to the west of the through track on Congress St. The route was later adopted by the South Boston. None of the other companies used this route until the Middlesex and Highland merged into the Boston Consolidated.

Second: Southie's Numbered Streets

East First St. had tracks from L St. to Q St. though little passenger service.

East Second St. had tracks from P St. to Q. St. as part of the North Point complex.

East Third St. had tracks from Dorchester St. to Emerson St. (bypassed a hill on Broadway) [Short and obscure]

West Fourth St. had tracks from west of Dorchester Ave. to C St. East Fourth St. had tracks from K St. to Q St.

West Sixth St. had tracks from Dorchester Ave. to E St. East Sixth St. had tracks from K St. to Q St.

West Seventh St. had a single track from C St. to E St.

West Eighth St. had a single track from E St. to Dorchester St. East Eighth St. had tracks from Dorchester St. to K St.

West Ninth St. had a single track from E St. to Dorchester St.

So the answer is Fifth St.

The back and forth on these questions could have been fun and informative, if anybody had bothered to answer!
 #1343316  by Gerry6309

Going back to a past question, the name "ATLANTIC CHAMBERS" was used by the Elevated to identify the station on the 1908 track chart, Page 36. Although the page was redrawn and combined with page 35, the name persisted on these charts until the East Boston Tunnel was deleted after 1921.

Now for a new item of trivia:

A retractile draw was itself a railroad, on which a bridge deck rolled aside to make way for marine traffic. Four of these in the Boston area carried streetcar rails on their decks in the 1930s and 1940s. Can you name the locations of these railroads upon railroads. Hints: Two were on the same street, and two were on the same waterway. One still exists, though it can no longer open.
 #1343326  by The EGE

Summer Street over Fort Point Channel
Summer Street over Reserved Channel
Congress Street over Fort Point Channel?
St. Marys Street Bridge over the Charles?