Railroad Forums 

• Countdown Signs Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1327701  by octr202

Riverside Line countdown signs went live today:

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/591638892702478337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T says rest of Green Line should be active by sometime this summer.
 #1327712  by Rbts Stn

That's great!

Any way of getting that data when I'm en route to the Green Line? So I know if I should take a short cut getting to the station or if I can linger a bit longer in my car?
 #1327729  by MBTA3247

I've noticed that the countdown signs on the outbound side of Kenmore are usually off by one train: the two trains listed on the board end up being the second and third trains into the station after you walk down the stairs.
 #1328050  by octr202

Rbts Stn wrote:That's great!

Any way of getting that data when I'm en route to the Green Line? So I know if I should take a short cut getting to the station or if I can linger a bit longer in my car?
http://www.mbtainfo.com/green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has location data and a live map at this time. I suspect that once the Green Line system is fully deployed the site owner will be able to change the "distance away" listings to "minutes away" like the other subway lines.
 #1328080  by Rbts Stn

That's a nice start. Of course there are "no trains found" for the direction and station I usually frequent at this time.
 #1331537  by Rbts Stn

First time for me in the subway system in a few months, waited 10 minutes at Arlington for a "C" train. No countdown clocks. :(
 #1331672  by deathtopumpkins

Rbts Stn wrote:First time for me in the subway system in a few months, waited 10 minutes at Arlington for a "C" train. No countdown clocks. :(
The underground stations aren't getting them anytime soon. Only the surface stops, and only on the D line so far.
 #1331725  by deathtopumpkins

chrisf wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:The underground stations aren't getting them anytime soon. Only the surface stops, and only on the D line so far.
Equipment is currently being installed underground and will be in service some time this summer, according to the MBTA. http://www.wbur.org/2015/04/24/green-li ... own-clocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know the subway will eventually be getting countdown clocks, but I meant the current priority was the above-ground portion that they already have the tracking system in place for.

And I'd take that estimate of this summer with a grain of salt.
 #1332105  by Rbts Stn

Brookline Hills didn't have 'em when I was there a couple weeks ago. Hopefully soon!
 #1351392  by deathtopumpkins

So there is now an orange line countdown sign on the commuter rail concourse at North Station! Is this the first "out of system" sign?

It's located on the back of the departures board over the stairs on the I-93 side entrance.
 #1360322  by SM89

deathtopumpkins wrote:So there is now an orange line countdown sign on the commuter rail concourse at North Station! Is this the first "out of system" sign?

It's located on the back of the departures board over the stairs on the I-93 side entrance.
But not Green Line? They're also missing a Green Line countdown sign at the fare gates in North Station. They only show Orange.
 #1360796  by octr202

The sign inside the NS/Garden east exit has room for the Green Line as well - it's just not displaying anything.

The last time I was in North Station waiting for a westbound GL train, the signs were not displaying predictions there, either. The eastbound (Lechmere) platform does provide predictions, but the few times I've been up there they've not been accurate. Don't know if that's due to an issue with the prediction system, or because trains are being redirected by inspectors downtown.
 #1476811  by dieciduej

Reviving an old thread. It appears that they have updated the software for the countdown clocks on the Orange Line. Instead of the old +20 Minutes for a train's arrival we now get an exact time, yeah right sure, 41 minutes. But the clock still is how many minutes from the train to the station (lets say 5 minutes away), so if it sits for 10 minutes somewhere it still shows 5 minutes.
Orange Line Countdown Clock at Wellington
Orange Line Countdown Clock at Wellington
Countdown Clock.JPG (542.93 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
JoeD