Railroad Forums 

• LIRR P72 coaches... where'd they go?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#684459  by deandremouse

hammerfang wrote:Just out of curiousity I wonder how much one of those costs and what would be needed to make them Amtrak compliant.
I'd say somewhere in the 10,000-18,000. Could be less. How can he have over 200? I'm mean that's like the whole 2800-2900 series.
 #684466  by jhdeasy

David Thebodo (Rail Merchants International) does not own 200 of these cars. He is an Agent/Broker who assists Owners in selling their equipment, on a fee/commission basis, to interested buyers. He also assist buyers in finding equipment for purchase.

Ken Bitten bought almost the entire fleet of LIRR disel hauled cars. I suspect he paid about scrap value, which was low at that time. Although he has sold many of these cars to many different buyers, he still owns many of these cars.

None of these former LIRR cars have been upgraded to Amtrak certified private cars.

Here is a roster of the twelve PP-72B class "Sunrise Fleet" parlor cars with dispositions and numerous photos:

http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/page5.html

I would appreciate any updates pertaining to these 12 cars.
 #699483  by jhdeasy

MadManMoon wrote:There are still quite a few stored in original condition (with the addition of grafitti galore) in the Waldorf, Maryland area. There are six visible on a siding on the western side of Route 301 in White Plains (just south of Waldorf), and about 30 (or so) at last check on a few spurs east of Route 301 just north of Route 228/Route 5 intersection (just east of the WalMart, behind the big Cheney Enterprises site).

Not sure if there are any plans to restore/sell/scrap them, but they've been sitting idle for quite a few years now. There was supposed to be a dinner train on the Indian Head Railroad trackage, and I think some of these old coaches were penciled in for that, but those plans died a few years ago.

Hope this helps!

One of my clients passed thru White Plains MD last week and confirmed these x-LIRR cars are gone, presumably scrapped onsite.

I believe Ken Bitten or one of his business ventures was the owner of those particular cars.
 #699524  by workextra

Here is a few links of some that are available.
http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/exc ... h_2709.htm
These were the lot I believe Someone on LI owned and leased out.
They are $17,500 however it does not say each or as a package.
I will assume EACH

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/sta ... oaches.htm
These are my personal favorite. I would like to see them come home as "parlor cars"
I do have to say, the fluting makes them look classy.
They are $17,000 each.
So here we have 5 genuine Ex LIRR coaches for sale.
For a little more money this would be a nice toy for LI to have!!
http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/alco_rs3u_977.htm It would put on a nice show!
NOTE: PHOTOS ARE LINKED FROM THE WEBSITE
 #854877  by Northeastern292

Dang it! I know this is a really old topic, but if I hit the lottery, I want to start a short line railroad. Needless to say, I'd be wicked happy if each of the contiguous 48 states had an intrastate passenger rail system.

I might be dreaming, but someone has to be as crazy as me. :wink: I admire what the preservation railroads do.
 #855003  by Northeastern292

joetrain59 wrote:Stourbridge Line in Honesdale, PA has a few,
Shot day after Thanksgiving, 2009.
Joe
Nice. And I found that there's 70 ACMU's for sale somewhere...

http://www.cabooses4sale.com/passenger.htm

Now I know what to ask my mom (who used to take the 5:08 out of what was then Brewster North on the Harlem Line for years) for Christmas...used Metro-North equipment!
 #855606  by keyboardkat

Northeastern292 wrote:
Joe

Now I know what to ask my mom (who used to take the 5:08 out of what was then Brewster North on the Harlem Line for years) for Christmas...used Metro-North equipment!
What's an ACMU? Do you mean MUs intended to run on A.C. catenary? Are any ex-NH 4400 series "Washboards" for sale? They were beautiful in their prime.
 #855626  by jhdeasy

keyboardkat wrote:What's an ACMU? Do you mean MUs intended to run on A.C. catenary? Are any ex-NH 4400 series "Washboards" for sale? They were beautiful in their prime.
ACMU = Air Conditioned Multiple Unit (passenger car)

This term was applied to the older lightweight passenger cars, of New York Central heritage, which drew their power from the third rail, that were operated on Metro North's Hudson and Harlem lines until they were displaced by the newer M series cars and retired.

I do not know of any former New Haven 4400 series washboards currently for sale. If I remember correctly, all of these electric multiple unit cars were retired from revenue passenger service on the New Haven line during the 1970s or early 1980s. It's possible a few of these may be in the collections of museums or railroad historical societies, but I suspect most were scrapped, long ago.

I know that I rode NYC / PC ACMU cars in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't remember ever riding a NH / PC 4400 series washboard car.
 #856707  by keyboardkat

The NH 4400 series "washboards" remained in service into the '70s because the NH line did not get new cars until after the LIRR and ex-NYC lines got their M-1s. I remember riding a washboard train and hearing a trainman talking to a passenger about the new cars, and saying, "We get ours next year." And in the late '70s, or maybe around 1980, NH shops refurbished a number of 4400s for service on the New Canaan branch. I don't know if the refurbished 4400s were ever actually used there or not.

I rode an ex-NYC train of Pullman-Standard air-conditioned MUs from GCT to Harmon on the Hudson line back in 1971. The conductor was expressing some concern to the engineer about the faster acceleration of the new M-1s that were coming, saying a passenger in the aisle might be thrown off balance; and what if it's a woman with a baby? He said, "You can even do it with these," meaning the train we were riding in.
 #950580  by Northeastern292

jhdeasy wrote:
keyboardkat wrote:What's an ACMU? Do you mean MUs intended to run on A.C. catenary? Are any ex-NH 4400 series "Washboards" for sale? They were beautiful in their prime.
ACMU = Air Conditioned Multiple Unit (passenger car)

This term was applied to the older lightweight passenger cars, of New York Central heritage, which drew their power from the third rail, that were operated on Metro North's Hudson and Harlem lines until they were displaced by the newer M series cars and retired.

I do not know of any former New Haven 4400 series washboards currently for sale. If I remember correctly, all of these electric multiple unit cars were retired from revenue passenger service on the New Haven line during the 1970s or early 1980s. It's possible a few of these may be in the collections of museums or railroad historical societies, but I suspect most were scrapped, long ago.

I know that I rode NYC / PC ACMU cars in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't remember ever riding a NH / PC 4400 series washboard car.
The Danbury Railway Museum has two Washboards. Sadly, they're being used for storage, as they're in really rough shape. Even to get them in running condition would be tough, as they might have the same hazardous chemicals that will make ever running a GG1 again near impossible.

*EDIT: The ACMU's might make decent tourist railroad coaches, provided they can be pulled behind a locomotive.
 #950791  by keyboardkat

Northeastern292 wrote:
Joe

As you can see from the trucks, the graffiti-covered LIRR car in the picture is not a P-72 at all, but was actually a cabless MU electric motor car, which would have been designated an MT-72, for Motor Trailer. Like the other postwar air conditioned MUs, it was modified for diesel territory operation after the advent of the M1s starting in 1969.
 #950855  by R36 Combine Coach

Northeastern292 wrote:The Danbury Railway Museum has two Washboards. Sadly, they're being used for storage, as they're in really rough shape. Even to get them in running condition would be tough, as they might have the same hazardous chemicals that will make ever running a GG1 again near impossible.The ACMU's might make decent tourist railroad coaches, provided they can be pulled behind a locomotive.
These are two combines. A few were used by Metro-North for MoW into the 1990s.