Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#14362  by bagpiper516

What was the siding just east of the New Hyde Park station used for? When was it last used? Thanks in advance.

#14449  by Legio X

Is that where those spurs on the north side of the r.o.w. are, with those Conrail double-door boxcars that have been there for 20+years?

#14545  by RRChef

The siding in NHP served several small industries including a plywood company and a steel fabricator. Both of these companies have not recieved rail deliveries in some time. Also served by this siding was the now defunct Castro Convertables factory on who's siding those Conrail cars sat for years. I know sometime ago one or more of these cars was set on fire. I think all of these cars have been removed, but, I have to drive that way later today and I will look from Tanner's Pond Road to see if they are still there.
 #14547  by bingdude

The CR Boxes are still there. At least one of them has friction bearings, so that's why CR got rid of them.

Some business was taking box cars at the end of the siding (around the bend) in '01 and '02. NYA was leaving them right near the stuck CR boxes.
One was a CNA.

#14865  by Legio X

Has the connection of these spurs to the Main Line been cut, or are they still available for use by NYA to serve new customers?

#14946  by RRChef

The Conrail cars were once visable from Tanner's Pond Road, but with all the planting being done in the Garden City"Bird Sanctuary" that portion of the spur is no longer visable. I know another location where I might be able to see them and will try tomorrow. The switch on the west end of the siding is still connected to the main line.

#15010  by jayrmli

The customer the NYAR served there was Chesler Plywood, which was located at the very end of the siding. If anyone noticed a car placed by the Conrail boxcars, it couldn't be spotted because something was blocking the tracks. This happened frequently. Word is Chesler Plywood will be taking cars again. I sure hope they come out to look at that track before the cars arrive.

Chesler was one of the more interesting customers to service, as the switch was equipped with an electric lock, but the Movement Bureau did not want you to clear up there. Apparently, it's an old-style electric lock that doesn't show up properly on their model board, and they would start to issue train orders if you tried to clear up there. So instead, you would hold the main, leave cars on the main, and hope they could run trains around you. If you had more than 13 cars, you were out of luck because you didn't clear the interlocking behind you. Once you started going back on the siding, you had anything from debris dumped on the tracks to parked cars, a gate and finally an unprotected crossing. Like I said, an interesting switch.

Jay

#15048  by Legio X

Good they will be taking NYA service again. Will traffic be CN double-door plugdoor boxcars as in the past?

#15079  by bagpiper516

I can only imagine how much New Hyde Park Road will be backed up if a freight train were to have to pull in. The only way to eleviate this problem would to do the delivery at night, and then they have the whole NIMBY issue to contend with. Either way, it would be nice to have a company return to rail delivery, as opposed to turning to trucks for shipments.

#15269  by JoeLIRR

just saw them for the 2nd time in a row. there is also MOW equpt there.