Siemens DM30AC 518

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Pensyfan19
Location: somewhere on planet Earth, where the G5s once roamed

Re: Siemens DM30AC 518

Post by Pensyfan19 »

edflyerssn007 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 am
According to my source 518 does in fact have some Seimens charger parts as a bit of an under the radar test.
That's what it said in the description of the video which I posted under the LIRR 511 thread. :P Probably Siemens getting first dibs for replacement locomotives for the DM30AC.
"Look down, step over, and watch the gap!" - Dr. John Clarke, the Gap Rap, 2010

Sorry in advance if you do not agree with my opinion.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss »

The R&D process is still on going,the Dual mode chargers have a weight issue with the energy storage module needed to jump the 3rd rail gaps.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

grobtech

Post by grobtech »

With the DM fleet, Amtrak dictates that there must be a DM unit on each end of the consist to prevent gapping. *If* the award for the next dual mode fleet goes to Siemens will the on board energy storage mean that the LIRR will be able go to a push pull service for dual modes into New York?

WhartonAndNorthern

Post by WhartonAndNorthern »

grobtech wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:40 pm
With the DM fleet, Amtrak dictates that there must be a DM unit on each end of the consist to prevent gapping. *If* the award for the next dual mode fleet goes to Siemens will the on board energy storage mean that the LIRR will be able go to a push pull service for dual modes into New York?
That's the idea. It's also the hardest part to implement (space-claim, required weight) and could affect the entire order when only 1 of the 3 customers require the feature.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut »

there will be only 3 customers for dual mode(LIRR-MN -Amtrak) and as per PRII they all will get same engine with same functions .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

edflyerssn007

Post by edflyerssn007 »

Backshophoss wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:10 pm
The R&D process is still on going,the Dual mode chargers have a weight issue with the energy storage module needed to jump the 3rd rail gaps.
I wonder if some Tesla power packs could help with that weight issue. I don't know what the weight goals are, but supposedly the tesla power backs have some of the densest storage capacity out there.

Return to “Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)”